Georgia Law

surfergirl

I am in Ga and I guess you have to have a permit to have an eastern box? I was not aware it was illegal til I read on here that we need to check our state laws. I have rescued so many I lost count, broken shells, torn jaws, all from the road and never really thought about it being against the law or requiring a permit to rehab them. I was fortunate that any I found alive fully recovered. I have always released them to a safe haven in the cohutta wilderness so does that count for not breaking the law? is it hard to get a permit to have a CB eastern box in Ga?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
a lot of states have laws regarding releasing any animals once rehabbed for fear they will transmit a disease picked up in captivity most states don't want them released back into the wild.

i'm not sure about anything about the permits tho

Berkeley

Here's my disclaimer: I live in Georgia as well, and have my entire life. I am an environmental educator both personally and professionally, so I have learned the laws here as best I can. However, I am not a Law Enforcement officer for the DNR.

In addition to keeping a box turtle in Georgia, it is technically illegal to rehab the injured ones and then to release them. So unfortunately, it doesn't really count as 'not breaking the law.' I know you are just wanting to help the turtles, particularly the injured ones. I really do. But depending on where you found the turtles, releasing them into the Cohuttas probably is not helping them either. Despite peoples' intentions, box turtles taken out of their home ranges (which are a little bigger than a football field, generally) and placed far away in new areas do not do well. They may also introduce diseases (as naturalman mentioned above) or genes that were not in that population to begin with. Licensed wildlife rehabilitators have to have permits for the work that they do in the state, and get inspected periodically as well. They are supposed to try and release the animal if at all possible, but there are still rules and policies about that release that they have to follow.

In regards to your question about the ease of getting a permit to keep a box turtle in Georgia, it is not a breeze but it can be done. The permits to keep native wildlife are called Wildlife Exhibition Permits, and folks that want them have to: pay for the permit, submit a detailed educational plan on how the animals will be used, a description of experience maintaining wildlife, have an inspection of where they will keep the animals, and do a required number of educational hours each year with the permitted animals. The DNR doesn't give out the permits so people can have a pet. It seems harsh and close-minded, but it really is in the best interest of our wildlife.

If you are truly interested in learning more about the process of potentially getting a permit, please contact the Special Permit Unit at the Department of Natural Resources Law Enforcement Division and ask them about the Wildlife Exhibition Permit.

Good luck! I hope that helps.

--Berkeley

surfergirl

I have worked with the dnr on injured animals including a deer that was hit by a truck. they let me take it to a Appalachian Animal Hospital where they rehab'd it for a petting zoo. I have contacted them every time I wind up with injured wildlife and they never really mention contamination as much as they are concerned about injury to humans. Rabies, and injuries to people from animals being in shock is what they always share concern of. recently a friend rescued a vulture and when I called the dnr they gave me warnings about their response to regurgitate when frightened and to be careful but just said they did not offer any support for them but that I should try a rescue group. Sometimes i wish they would just drive out and put the poor animal to sleep at the minimum. it is painful to watch animals suffer to their death.

Thanks for the feedback. I could see that being a threat. not everyone is going to be mindful of the conditions and concern for contaminates. putting a wild eastern box in with other rescues, reptiles, etc. i guess that is why Ga does not want CB's in Ga - some people might get tired of them and release them and they could have some different bugs than wild natives.

... but easterns seem to still be thriving in the cohutta- last time i was there we hiked up on a sunny spot with more than 10 eastern females laying eggs. pretty cool. it was a sunny spot with beautiful ferns cascading over the landscape.

surfergirl

I am good with leaving them to die a slow death from a vulture plucking from their shell if that is the best thing for the whole. I will not intervene again now that i know it is illegal to rehab and release.

thanks for the education and understanding!

Berkeley

I am good with leaving them to die a slow death from a vulture plucking from their shell if that is the best thing for the whole. I will not intervene again now that i know it is illegal to rehab and release.

thanks for the education and understanding!

That's not always the case, surfergirl. Turtles are quite capable of remarkable recoveries. I know of more than one turtle has had the top of its shell cut off by a lawnmower or bush-hog and continued to live for many years. A thick, waxy skin grows over the open wound and seals it in. I've actually seen pictures of some of the small European tortoises online where this same thing has happened. In addition, I have personally cared for a handful of turtles that have been crushed by cars and were still able to walk and feed themselves. They don't always die from an injury. Don't get me wrong though, some do. We as humans generally don't like to see it or think about it. But it happens- way more than we even know about.

--Berkeley

surfergirl

I agree they are resilient creatures and survive many times without human intervention. My comment about the vultures was just to explain why I was compelled to help them in the first place. my intentions have always been pure. I do not want pet easterns since they are wild here. I could never provide them the life they have in the wild.

I realize now after considering these replies that my help may have been good for one but not for the whole.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge, concerns and the law.

For now on I will not stop and move them out of the road even, I will just say a prayer that they get across safely. :)

Berkeley

You are welcome, surfergirl. I apologize if I sounded a bit harsh- that was not my intention. I just know how strict the laws are about GA wildlife, and how equally strict the enforcement of those laws can be. I didn't want you (or anyone else that may read this thread) to get in trouble! I believe your pure intentions- most people that frequent these types of forums are of the same mindset.

Please don't stop moving turtles off the road though! While in general I agree with your statement about helping the one vs the whole group, getting as many of the turtles off the road as possible really does help their population in the long term. Many of the ones I have found crushed have been females, and often with eggs. As many of those breeding adults as can be safely carried across the road and put back in the habitat, the better! I move them off the road myself, every time I see one. I always do. And I am certain that the Law Enforcement officers don't mind people doing that, as long as there is no intent to keep them.

Good luck. You should check out the Wildlife Exhibition Permit. More people out there educating is never a bad thing.

--Berkeley

surfergirl

I will keep moving 'em off the road since that is ok.

I assure you nothing you said offended me at all. I was glad to receive your post since I obviously was not aware of the law or the concerns involved for easterns.