Eastern box turtle in Kentucky

kobobird

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
I was wondering if anyone knows the laws on eastern box turtles in kentucky. I found this http://fw.ky.gov/Wildlife/Pages/Transportation-and-Holding-of-Live-Native-Wildlife.aspx on the kentucky fish and wildlife website and from what I read it seems like there isn't a permit needed to own one but figured I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've been finding a ton on the farm I hunt on but know taking from the wild is wrong and possibly illegal so I'm looking to buy one. I've already set a 13'x3' enclosure in front yard. Anyway I was just wanting to be safe and not get in trouble for ordering an eastern box turtle. All help is greatly appreciated!

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
Bravo on your resisting to take one from the wild. The only time that is really acceptable is if you find one that has been injured; or is sick; and need of rehabilitation. If that happens; as soon as it's well return it to the exact spot you found it; unless its on an open road; then place it on the side that it was heading to. On Cape Cod it's illegal to even handle wild ones; and carries a hefty fine. But I am guilty of moving alot of them; and other turtles off open roads. Even with signs that indicate Turtle Crossing...people just do not seem to slow down.

kobobird

Kentucky
Bravo on your resisting to take one from the wild. The only time that is really acceptable is if you find one that has been injured; or is sick; and need of rehabilitation. If that happens; as soon as it's well return it to the exact spot you found it; unless its on an open road; then place it on the side that it was heading to. On Cape Cod it's illegal to even handle wild ones; and carries a hefty fine. But I am guilty of moving alot of them; and other turtles off open roads. Even with signs that indicate Turtle Crossing...people just do not seem to slow down.
Thanks for the bravo. I also stop and help turtles cross roads whenever I can. Luckily for me from what I've found kentuckys eastern box turtle laws aren't as strict as cape cods.

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
Thanks for the bravo. I also stop and help turtles cross roads whenever I can. Luckily for me from what I've found kentuckys eastern box turtle laws aren't as strict as cape cods.
sounds like they are much more numerous in your area. Cape Cod is small sand bar; so most all wildlife is strictly protected. If you have any questions call your local DRN (dept of natural resources); and they will have current laws and restrictions.