Fungas sore in mouth

LeeB60

Location (City and/or State)
Neola Ut
Help! I took little dude to the vet yesterday and the vet said he had a fungus in his mouth a fungal sore. He gave me some medicine to give him but he won't eat the food I put it on and I can't get him to open his mouth take it. That said to put it in some baby food that's not going to happen. He will not eat that. I'm afraid I'll hurt him if I try to print out his mouth open too much. Are there any kind of tricks to get them to open their mouth or to get him to eat the food that I put the medication on? Thank you

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
never heard of a mouth fungus unless you mean maybe mouth rot (not a fungus).

What type of tort, how old, and what is the medicine? It's really hard to find a good vet that knows reptiles so there is a chance the vet doesn't know what they're talking about.

LeeB60

Neola Ut
SMZ-TMP Suspension 240 ml 0.04 ml oral once daily. He's a Russian tort. I'm not sure how old he is, I got him from a pet shop that was going out of business. Since he won't eat the food or the baby food the vet told me to give him with the medication on it isn't it at least better for him to eat something. The vet said to just keep giving him little bits of food with the medication on it and he hasn't really eaten since yesterday morning. So I keep thinking I should just give him something to eat because I'm afraid that he's just going to get really weak.

Attachments

• 20220707_192518.jpg
    20220707_192518.jpg
    703.6 KB · Views: 1

LeeB60

Neola Ut
He didn't say mouth rot. All he said is he was fungal or staph. He said his food is too wet.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
your vet is not treating your tortoise for a fungal infection ,they are treating it for a bacterial infection ......... tell your vet he won't eat the medication , or anything you add it to , it's not surprising , i doubt he will , it's supposed to be some terrible tasting stuff ........ you'll want to check your husbandry ...... ask the vet about flushing his mouth with diluted hydrogen peroxide , or chlorhexadine , and probably some injectable antibiotics .....jmo

LeeB60

Neola Ut
your vet is not treating your tortoise for a fungal infection ,they are treating it for a bacterial infection ......... tell your vet he won't eat the medication , or anything you add it to , it's not surprising , i doubt he will , it's supposed to be some terrible tasting stuff ........ you'll want to check your husbandry ...... ask the vet about flushing his mouth with diluted hydrogen peroxide , or chlorhexadine , and probably some injectable antibiotics .....jmo
Thank you for your advice. I called my vet today and he was supposed to return my call and didn't. So I'm in the process of looking for a new vet. My regular exotic vet retired so this guy is just a vet. He said he's comfortable handling exotic animals like mine. I took him in for was a beacon nail trim. Now I'm freaking out.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I wouldn't let a vet who doesn't specifically specialize in tortoises treat my shelled friends. Here is a list of qualified vets, listed by State: https://tortoiseforum.org/forums/tortoise-vet-list.126/ Find one on there and ask for a second opinion.
Tortoises that have a sore in their mouth don't get it from wet food, generally. There is usually some other underlying issue. Your vet needs to rule out herpes. A bacterial sore is more likely than a fungal lesion.

Giving a daily oral med without showing you how to safely open your tortoise's mouth was useless of your vet. They should have shown you how (and sent you home with the little tool), or offered for you to bring it in once daily and have a tech administer the meds. That said. Injectable antibiotics might be more effective.

LeeB60

Neola Ut

I wouldn't let a vet who doesn't specifically specialize in tortoises treat my shelled friends. Here is a list of qualified vets, listed by State: https://tortoiseforum.org/forums/tortoise-vet-list.126/ Find one on there and ask for a second opinion.
Tortoises that have a sore in their mouth don't get it from wet food, generally. There is usually some other underlying issue. Your vet needs to rule out herpes. A bacterial sore is more likely than a fungal lesion.

Giving a daily oral med without showing you how to safely open your tortoise's mouth was useless of your vet. They should have shown you how (and sent you home with the little tool), or offered for you to bring it in once daily and have a tech administer the meds. That said. Injectable antibiotics might be more effective.
Thank you. The closest one to me is 140 mi. My exotanimal vet retired and there are no more close. I'll have to make the drive. I hate that he doesn't feel good.