Fresh food in the winter

Michael henry

Location (City and/or State)
Little Rock
Reading this forum I have noticed that there are so many ways to raise your tortoise just like kids. Therefore here is another way I got good grass in the winter. I grew it in pacos barn. I did it in an old tube with no dirt. I see now in agriculture mags they have a system that will give you a fresh bunch of grass with in no time. I made sure that I got seed that had no anti fungal stuff on them. I have heard of people going to Home Depot and buying sod I grew up in fla and have been on all kinds of farms I would not feed my tortoises anything from a sod farm they spray big time. Hope this gives y’all some ? have a good night

TisMary

New York
I would not feed my tortoises anything from a sod farm they spray big time. Hope this gives y’all some ? have a good night
I am working on plan for good tortoise veggies I can grow indoors year around. I was inspired when I bought a fresh bunch of radishes with tops (just about the only greens our Bearded Dragon will eat - another story). Anyway, they started to sprout in the fridge, so I plopped each radish in a peat pot with some sterilized potting soil. They started to grow almost immediately! (Y'all, I don't know yet if I will feed radishes or radish tops to my future tort - haven't gotten that for, so save it!:rolleyes:)

Anyway, here is a resource I found very helpful to look up the nutritional components of plants (even though it comes from a BD-related site, it's still pertinent to this discussion). Nutritional Content. It breaks down a myriad of plants by protein, fiber, calcium-to-phosphorous ratio, fat, etc. I'm comparing this list with what I learned from Garden State's new video "Tortoise Diet (Testudo Species)" and a bunch of tort-safe plant lists I've been saving.

In the end, I should have a list of goodies I can grow indoors any time. Stay tuned.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I am working on plan for good tortoise veggies I can grow indoors year around. I was inspired when I bought a fresh bunch of radishes with tops (just about the only greens our Bearded Dragon will eat - another story). Anyway, they started to sprout in the fridge, so I plopped each radish in a peat pot with some sterilized potting soil. They started to grow almost immediately! (Y'all, I don't know yet if I will feed radishes or radish tops to my future tort - haven't gotten that for, so save it!:rolleyes:)

Anyway, here is a resource I found very helpful to look up the nutritional components of plants (even though it comes from a BD-related site, it's still pertinent to this discussion). Nutritional Content. It breaks down a myriad of plants by protein, fiber, calcium-to-phosphorous ratio, fat, etc. I'm comparing this list with what I learned from Garden State's new video "Tortoise Diet (Testudo Species)" and a bunch of tort-safe plant lists I've been saving.

In the end, I should have a list of goodies I can grow indoors any time. Stay tuned.

I like radishes as a good intro to vegetable gardening. They grow so quick, its hard to mess up and if you do, you haven't lost months of work.