Food During the Winter

Mikeedubb

5 Year Member
Hey guys so where i am in Canada its turning into winter unfortunately so i cannot feed my baby hermann tortoise any weeds from outside.

i know its not the best for them eating store bought veggies but i have no other option during the winter.

My questions are what type of veggies that you can buy from the store would be the best to get?

Anything else you guys feed during the winter when weeds are not available??

thanks!

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
Store greens aren't exactly "bad" but there are better things to feed. I usually feed store greens as the basis of my tortoise's diet, but with a lot of variety and supplementing. I don't have a hermann's, but I have a russian tortoise, and they are similar. You can get spring mixes, or buy the ingredients separately for a cheaper price. Endive is good, kale, raddichio, romaine lettuce, green leaf lettuce, red lead lettuce. The tortoise table has a huge list of edible greens.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
There's always mazuri too. Some herbs like parsley, cilantro, carrot tops, etc are things you may want to try. Always try to get veggies that are in season, unless you can grow them in a greenhouse, if you have one.

Mikeedubb

5 Year Member
Yeah I've been getting carrot tops for free as my mom works in a natural supermarket. He seems to love them. Ive been trying everything that I read a safe. Just wanted to know what you guys personally feed from the supermarket.