found in middle of road... need help identifying

erickabevans

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
so cal desert
IMG_20140323_173845.jpgFound this tort running across a busy road. Not sure what kind he is or if he is a wild tort or someone's escaped pet. Any help identifying would be appreciated!IMG_20140323_173855.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Ericka welcome to the TFO from AZ . So now what are you going to do with it ?

erickabevans

5 Year Member
so cal desert
I count 4 from the photo on the front foot. I'll have to get pick him up to get a better count.

Ok so if he is a Russian how do I care for him? I have Calif dessert Tort now what is the difference in care? Thanks for the help!

I'll probably keep him, he seems very friendly and tame. I love my torts I have now so what's one more?

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
I love it when torts are found by other tort owners and are welcomed into the home with open arms and excitement.

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

sarniacherie

nice one,really lucky he/she didnt get run over poor little thing,you could call him Steve/stevie after Steve Mc Queen in The great escape!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ericka:

Please do all you can to try to find the tortoise's owner. Russian tortoises are very good escape artists and this one might have gotten out of his yard through no fault of the owner. They paid good money for the animal and have invested time and love and probably are missing him quite a bit.

Also, your desert tortoise will get sick if you mix species. DO NOT PUT THE RUSSIAN WITH YOUR DESERT TORTOISE!!!

erickabevans

5 Year Member
so cal desert
I'm planning on posting him on craigslist to try and find the owner but the area I live the houses are very spread out and there wasn't any houses near where I found him. My dessert torts are still very small and live indoors we are going to do a nice outdoor incloser for the Russian.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
They can haul shell when they want to, I have turned my back on my turtle (in a closed room and in a matter of seconds she is on the opposite side of the room. He could have been walking for a couple days.

I agree with Yvonne, please try posting on craigslist, in the Lost forum on this site and even maybe at the local market/store. Try calling any local vets to see if anyone has lost a tortoise, even animal control.

erickabevans

5 Year Member
so cal desert
Update on the tort in the road. Took him to the vet today and he is in pretty rough shape. She said he has been on his own for a long time or had really bad Care and severely malnourished. They are worried he might have metabolic bone disease cause he can't fully lift himself. We are going to keep him and give him lots of care, TLC, and hope he gets better :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Well, he is lucky you found him, AND took him to the vet.
Now I kind of hope you don't find the previous owners. MBD doesn't happen overnight.... :/