Found a tortoise need help identify what tortoise it is

alfredusprimus

Location (City and/or State)
peterborough
So a family member was outside there house and a guy was walking around with a tortoise and they took it because they thought it was one of there's, however it turned out it wasn't so know they have this tortoise and they don't know what it is. so i want to know if anyone can help identify what this tortoise is

This picture isn't the best as it was the only one they could get it at the time so if its that bad i can ask them to try and get some more photos
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-26 at 10.47.58.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Picture of the front would help. Also what state?
It's either a sulcata or a desert tortoise but need to see the head, front legs front of shell around the head.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In the UK it's not likely a desert tortoise as they are an American native that is not allowed to be sold past state lines.
If it's as big as it looks in the picture it would be a sulcata but I don't think they are very common over there.
Yes more pictures would help.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
We definitely need more and better shots, and one of the plastron (underbelly).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So a family member was outside there house and a guy was walking around with a tortoise and they took it because they thought it was one of there's, however it turned out it wasn't so know they have this tortoise and they don't know what it is. so i want to know if anyone can help identify what this tortoise is

This picture isn't the best as it was the only one they could get it at the time so if its that bad i can ask them to try and get some more photos
Most of the features that would help us identify the species are hidden in this picture. Legs, face/head, nuccal scale... The carapace looks like it could be a sulcata. If it is a sulcata, it needs to be kept warm day and night. No lower than 80 degrees F ever.

alfredusprimus

peterborough
Picture of the front would help. Also what state?
It's either a sulcata or a desert tortoise but need to see the head, front legs front of shell around the head.
Most of the features that would help us identify the species are hidden in this picture. Legs, face/head, nuccal scale... The carapace looks like it could be a sulcata. If it is a sulcata, it needs to be kept warm day and night. No lower than 80 degrees F ever.
In the UK it's not likely a desert tortoise as they are an American native that is not allowed to be sold past state lines.
If it's as big as it looks in the picture it would be a sulcata but I don't think they are very common over there.
Yes more pictures would help.
We definitely need more and better shots, and one of the plastron (underbelly).
Possibly a sulcata, hard to see from this photograph above.
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-26 at 18.06.08.jpg

leoturt

Western Canada
cute guy, looks like a sulcata to me. Just make sure to keep it at minimum 80F until further action is taken. Cold temps can really hurt them. And make sure any grass/plants it eats have not been treated with chemicals, pesticides etc.