Please Help!! identify what kind of tortoise it is!!??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That tortoise needs HEAT ASAP! If you catch it early you can stop a respiratory infection. You need a Kane heat mat and/or some overhead basking heat for daytime. Closing the tortoise in a bathroom with a space heater might help too.

Mkaren

Today is my birthday!
Okay. I'll do that today. I'm going to buy the wood and things I need for his home.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you're able to give the tortoise a home, and it's great that you live in a climate where it can be outside. She's going to get big but that's okay. Please keep us updated on your progress with her. This is the best site out there for up-to-date information.

Mkaren

Today is my birthday!
Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you're able to give the tortoise a home, and it's great that you live in a climate where it can be outside. She's going to get big but that's okay. Please keep us updated on your progress with her. This is the best site out there for up-to-date information.

Thank you for the worm welcome. It is perfect weather but lately it has been very cold so I keep her inside. I noticed she has a wet nose. Is that bad? I will. Thank you!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thank you for the worm welcome. It is perfect weather but lately it has been very cold so I keep her inside. I noticed she has a wet nose. Is that bad? I will. Thank you!
She could have a respiratory infection which is definitely not a good thing. I do not have personal experience with this, my tortoise has not had a respiratory infection but I know they can be very serious. Definitely get to work on a heated night box for outdoors and until then keep him warm indoors. Get a temperature gun and that will come in very handy to let you know the exact temperatures around the enclosure. And even the temperature of your tortoise. More experienced keepers can tell you what to do about a respiratory infection. You can even try opening a new thread with that specific question.

Mkaren

Today is my birthday!
Thank you all for the very helpful information.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
from what I've read so far on this website when they get an RI the best thing to do is increase the temperatures 24/7. don't let him get below 80. 85 if You suspect RI

Mkaren

Today is my birthday!
from what I've read so far on this website when they get an RI the best thing to do is increase the temperatures 24/7. don't let him get below 80. 85 if You suspect RI

Thank you!!