food check for taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jazzywoo

ok taylor comes home tommorrow and i have been to the supermarket and got the following
little gem lettuce
cucumber
cherry tomatoes
carrot
red peppers
mixed green bag includes
spinach
lambs lettuce
baby radina
rocket
baby red oak
baby lollo rosso
mizuna
red chard
ruby red chard
i was told to get these but thought id better check as i will have to feed shop food till weeds grow that we bought
we have danderlion weeds in garden we can use too oh do you wash these before giving them ?

thanks ann x

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Gilchrist Co., Florida
Always wash your greens.
Even if they are grown in your own yard.
The cherry tomatoes, spinach & mizuna some people will say are not the best, But as long as they are not staples & are mixed in moderation with the other greens your tort will be fine.

J

jazzywoo

Kymiie said:
What tortoise do you have?
Sounds ok to me!
Did you happen to shop at morrisons?

xx

taylor will be a horsefield tortoise how did you guess morrisons :p
we are holding our breath at the moment im waiting for call from my fave reptile shop to see if they have got taylor yet we do have back up plan and reserved one in leeds but i have loyalty to fave shop silly i know but they are fantastic ansd have been a god send when we got james snake dexter so hoping they have one tommorrow been told today they are going in the morning to collect taylor for us so fingers crossed they do then i can call other place and say sorry granny bought one as a supprise :p

Shelly said:
t_mclellan said:
Always wash your greens.
Even if they are grown in your own yard.

Why?

for a guess chemicals etc thats why i cant get weeds local and waiting for ours to be planted and grow as they are always spraying them :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Shelly said:

Because you just don't know what they might have been in contact with. Maybe the neighbor's dog has lifted his leg on them...something fell on them from the sky (bird poop, acid rain)...chemical spray drift from your neighbor's yard...any unknown is a good reason to wash produce before you use it.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
emysemys said:
Shelly said:

Because you just don't know what they might have been in contact with. Maybe the neighbor's dog has lifted his leg on them...something fell on them from the sky (bird poop, acid rain)...chemical spray drift from your neighbor's yard...any unknown is a good reason to wash produce before you use it.

That seems a bit overly cautious to me. My torts roam my yard freely and eat whatever they want for the last 10 plus years without problems. Hell, even I eat stuff growing in my back yard myself without washing it. I know if there are stray dogs, or chemicals or nuclear waste or whatever in my own yard, as most people should.

chadk

10 Year Member!
I prefer to dip the produce (from my yard, store, organice, etc) in a tub of water and slosh it around real good, then rinse with running water. You'd be amazed at what shows up on the bucket\bowl after the rinsing. From the yard, there are all kinds of bugs that can cling to grass and weeds. And as noted, animal droppings could have come in contact with it. If you are close to a road, the dust and exhaust can settle on the plants. Organic and regular greens from the store have a risk of carrying e-coli and salmonella among other things.

While the above risks are very low really, it does not hurt to rinse. The misting at the store only get's the outside top and sides. And since I wash just before feeding, the greens also help supply water to ensure good hydration. Also, the damp leaves allow the TNT and Ca powder to stick to them better than dry leaves.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
I guessed morrisons becuase the leaves you discribed in that packet of leaves is exacly what Crush has, its from morrisons 80p :)
Am i correct?
Or am i completely off track?

xx

J

jazzywoo

Kymiie said:
I guessed morrisons becuase the leaves you discribed in that packet of leaves is exacly what Crush has, its from morrisons 80p :)
Am i correct?
Or am i completely off track?

xx

lol yes you get your gold star :D

Status
Not open for further replies.