Where to buy food for my Russians

Lucygoose100

Location (City and/or State)
Deforest WI
Hello everyone,
This may be a topic that has been covered before, but I am new to the group. I live in Wisconsin and currently we are in a deep freeze. Getting weeds (suggested lists) is not an option right now. I am also not sure about during the summer since all my neighbors spray for weeds and I am worried about wind contamination in my yard.
I found the following mix at my grocery store and my boys seem to like it.
Green Leaf, Mizuna, Green Romaine, Tango, Green Oak, Green Chard, Spinach, Arugula, Frisee, Tatsoi, Red Chard, Red Leaf, Lolla Rosa, Red Romaine, Red Mustard, Radicchio, Red Oak, Beet Tops

Where does everyone else get there food from? Should I contact a florist to see if they have old flowers they are throwing out, other sources?

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think that mixture is what's known as Spring Mix. That's ok, except low in fiber, and probably too much spinach. You can also buy the packaged turnip greens, mustard greens, and one here on the west coast is called Santa Barbara Mix, but may not be available to you in Wisconsin. It consists of endive, escarole and radicchio.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No to the flowers from the florist. They are probably treated with chemicals not good for a tortoise to eat.

churlishcurls

Minnesota
Fellow Midwesterner here (MN), definitely going to follow because I'd love some suggestions for broadening Double O's winter diet.

I've been getting a variety of greens and treats from the local co-op, and I'm in the process of growing the broadleaf testudo seed mix - we're only at the sprout stage, though.

Where in Wisconsin are you located? I know folk in Eau Claire/Milwaukee/Madison areas that might have some ideas for you.

What do you do in the summer currently?
We rent, but I'm discussing chemical free ideas with our landlord and looking in to joining a community garden. Hoping for an adventurous summer!

Lucygoose100

Deforest WI
Fellow Midwesterner here (MN), definitely going to follow because I'd love some suggestions for broadening Double O's winter diet.

I've been getting a variety of greens and treats from the local co-op, and I'm in the process of growing the broadleaf testudo seed mix - we're only at the sprout stage, though.

Where in Wisconsin are you located? I know folk in Eau Claire/Milwaukee/Madison areas that might have some ideas for you.

What do you do in the summer currently?
We rent, but I'm discussing chemical free ideas with our landlord and looking in to joining a community garden. Hoping for an adventurous summer!

Lucygoose100

Deforest WI
Hello!

I live in Madison area.
I have finally been able to update the habitats and am now working on getting a more diverse and better diet for them. If you know of places in this area I can get more than (spring mix, collard and turnip greens, radicchio, escarole- all grocery store finds) I am really interested.

They currently live all year indoors, but I am considering an outdoor enclosure. Have to admit though this makes me nervous with predators and unpredictable weather. But I figure I have a few months to work through those nerves. As soon as spring starts I will be looking for information on how to build and maintain an outdoor home for my boys.

churlishcurls

Minnesota
Rad - I know a fair amount of folk in the Madison area, I'll ask around and get back to you.

I'm definitely housing 007 indoors, at least until my partner and I get our own property that we can adapt to suit, but I'm looking forward to being able to provide more for her to eat. Can you do any gardening indoors, either by a sunny window or acquiring a grow light?

Lucygoose100

Deforest WI
Rad - I know a fair amount of folk in the Madison area, I'll ask around and get back to you.

I'm definitely housing 007 indoors, at least until my partner and I get our own property that we can adapt to suit, but I'm looking forward to being able to provide more for her to eat. Can you do any gardening indoors, either by a sunny window or acquiring a grow light?

Lucygoose100

Deforest WI
Thank you so much for checking!

I have considered growing some of my own food, it is I have two male with good appetites, one is named Piggy for a reason. BTW the other is Pokey although he can move.
I will work on getting some starter pots and plant some of the broadleaf testudo seed mix and see how it goes. Once summer reaches the Midwest I can plan for more.

Thanks again

churlishcurls

Minnesota
I have not forgotten you, Lucygoose. I asked around, but my friends in Madison aren't huge gardeners. They suggested Willy St. Co-op if you don't already go.

Quickly googling organic garden shops, I found West Star Organics. Looks like its mostly for standard gardening but if you buy some plants once they open (April) , you can find some perennials to take indoors for the winter/keep potted indoors? Only skimmed the site but they also have their where-to-buy list.

As far as florists, I found Farm to Vase, which at least lists several farms/resources for local flora. Who cultivates flowers without toxic additives or what is raised organically is the real question, but I bet they'd be able to help.

In Minnesota, my friend referred me to Mother Earth Gardens, which I'm excited to explore this weekend! I'm also a huge fan of EggPlant, an urban farming shop located in St. Paul. They're usually not as up on plants rather than seeds though, so I haven't looked in to options for 007 yet.

At least it'll be spring (soon? Someday?) and this whole plant thing will be easier. Good luck! Definitely let me know what you find.

Lucygoose100

Deforest WI
Thank you! This is really helpful. I have found at the local grocery store organic endive, radicchio (which my one guy loves), collard greens, red lettuce and turnip greens.
But I will need to check out Willy Street, totally forgot about them!
So I think we are ok until the spring thaw, in August :)
Stay warm, we are predicted to get more snow, sleet and rain this weekend again.
Kelly and a very thankful Pokey and Piggy

TortoiseRacket

New York
Hello everyone,
This may be a topic that has been covered before, but I am new to the group. I live in Wisconsin and currently we are in a deep freeze. Getting weeds (suggested lists) is not an option right now. I am also not sure about during the summer since all my neighbors spray for weeds and I am worried about wind contamination in my yard.
I found the following mix at my grocery store and my boys seem to like it.
Green Leaf, Mizuna, Green Romaine, Tango, Green Oak, Green Chard, Spinach, Arugula, Frisee, Tatsoi, Red Chard, Red Leaf, Lolla Rosa, Red Romaine, Red Mustard, Radicchio, Red Oak, Beet Tops

Where does everyone else get there food from? Should I contact a florist to see if they have old flowers they are throwing out, other sources?

Thanks
You can go to any green farm and ask if they have any heads that they couldn’t sell (broken, lone pieces, etc.)