First Vet Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyrnaBren

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire USA

I recently joined and posted on the introduction thread with some very warm welcomes, thank you :) I included a few pictures of my little guy and his overgrown beak.

We went on our first veterinarian visit at the Canobie Lake Veterinary Hospital in Windham NH. Dr. Magnuson and then entire staff were awesome. They asked a whole lot of really great questions and were very caring.

Randy weighed in at 586grams and I was very happy that he pooped his very first one on the way over. The Doc was so amazed at how active he was. And while I worried and fussed over his overgrown beak, the vet said it wasn't that bad after all. Still she said he was so friendly she could definitely take care of it without sedating him.

They took the time to show me how to cut nails and important things to look out for. But most of all, I left feeling like he was a healthy guy and I was doing a great job. They called me the next day to see how he was doing and then again in a few days with a great report from the stool check.

And now his appetite has just taken off! I'm so happy he's eating regularly and digging and climbing. He's enjoying his soaks and absolutely enjoys a good head and neck rub.

Here's the before and after pics.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 75
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Randy 2013-01-01 006.JPG
    Randy 2013-01-01 006.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 41
  • Randy 2012-12-31 017.JPG
    Randy 2012-12-31 017.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 57

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats on the great vet visit and results. If you feed him on a flat piece of rock or slate, it will help file the beak down naturally, and also keep it filed down.

WITortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Wonderful! Don't you have peace of mind now? I'm still waiting for one of ours to eat (it's been five days). I think she ate a little today. The other one eats like a little piglet!

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I have a male who had an overgrown beak until a few days ago when I clipped it with a human nail clipper like Yvonne has suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.