First tortoise

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I will be changing my substrate to top soil and will be spraying him with luke warm water like I do with my other reptiles :)
Hi and welcome, There is some great advice here and as long as you are prepared to follow advice as best you can then you should have a happy healthy tort for many years, Sterilised topsoil without any additives/fertilisers etc would be best, I get mine from Homebase but you will probably know far more about different topsoils than me!

clairyfairy

I'll ask one of the guys tomorrow which one doesn't have anything added to it and get that one, just want Chewy to be happy and healthy.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
OK just a suggestion be careful when your tortoise climbs out if the dish he don't tip onto his back because the sides are steep

Yes Richard is right - getting out of dishes is a concern for torts because they don't bend and if the sides are steep they can topple backwards get stuck on their backs and drown so keep an eye on that , better safe than sorry!

Oh and forget what pet shops tell you - they are often out of date with info or just plain wrong and only interested in profits, whereas everyone here is only here for the torts.

clairyfairy

Just watched Chewy get in and out of his water bowl, he didn't tip himself up as much as I thought he would to be honest, he seemed to manage quite easily. I've buried the bowl a little bit more to make it easier for him and might put some pebbles that he can't eat in the bottom of the bowl to give him a bit of a boost.

I've got a crested gecko and a horned frog at the moment but have had others in the past Richard.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Something important to remember with tortoises: just because it's working now, or seems to be working, is not an indicator that all is well and will continue to be well. It means that we don't see a problem, not that there isn't one. Sometimes ill effects don't show up for a long time. Sometimes it's the hundredth or thousandth time that the system fails. It worked this time, or, it's working so far, is an operating assumption that needs to be monitored and reevaluated continually.

clairyfairy

Is every new comer here made to feel like a complete moron or just me?
I've got qualifications in animal care and have kept reptiles for the majority of my adult life.
It's beyond insulting to be spoken to the way some of you guys have spoken to me.
I don't see anything wrong with the way my tortoise is being housed. The water bowl that is causing such an issue was a £14.99 tortoise bowl purchased from where I work after I spoke to the people who breed the tortoises that are sold in our store.

Please don't treat me like an idiot. I'm in two minds about continuing to use this forum as it is, all i wanted to do was introduce myself after all!!!

Myroli

I know they can come off as a bit condescending sometimes, but they really do mean well, they hust want to help and they're trying to make sure you don't make mistakes they may have made or have heard other ppl have made, the tortoises well being is the only thing on their mind, not how they come across, once you get to know them you'll love them too :)

clairyfairy

That's fair enough.
They don't have to treat people like idiots though.
Just because someone is new to the forum doesn't mean they're thick and don't have a clue does it?

fern4

That's fair enough.
Just because someone is new to the forum doesn't mean they're thick and don't have a clue does it?
I get it. I joined 2 weeks ago and I feel like I've been doing everything wrong even though I have a happy and healthy tortoise. The worst is they all tell you something different. It's hard to know who to believe and trust. I have received good advice and I have learned stuff but I have felt how you feel. It's nice to know I'm not alone. I think Chewy is adorable :)

Myroli

That's fair enough.
No it doesn't:) I didn't have a clue(other then researching online) before I joined this forum so they helped me out a lot, but I know that when you do know something about it and then they're telling you all their opinions/experiences it probably gets annoying even if you appreciate the advice

Myroli

Here's my baby sulcata Ki, he is doing great because of advice I got on here, and I know your Chewy looks great so far, so whatever your doing is working I would keep it up unless that changes :)

Attachments

• 1431443145842.jpg
    1431443145842.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 2

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't forget that the written word doesn't always come out the way the author intended it to. When you can't see facial expressions and hear tone, it's easy to read insults when none were intended. (...and your very first question was, "Am I doing this right?")

Myroli

Don't forget that the written word doesn't always come out the way the author intended it to. When you can't see facial expressions and hear tone, it's easy to read insults when none were intended. (...and your very first question was, "Am I doing this right?")
That is very true :) I am a very sarcastic person but I try very hard not to do it here without specifying I'm being sarcastic

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's truly nothing personal, Claire. Everyone that has posted is trying to help. It's just that in time, you'll see it seems like a broken record here with new members and the same basic problems. It gets harder and harder to be diplomatic (and some of us seem to just have poor people skills to begin with.):)
Truth is that you seem to have a better handle on things than most newcomers.
In time it may be you giving the harsh news that someone else needs to change everything that they have.
hang in there. It gets easier as you get it right.
Flipping hazards are very serious in young tortoises and your bowl is a tipping hazard. I'm using this as an example.
Nothing personal. Just a friendly shot at trying to help from another member who has had a baby die over some preventable issue.

clairyfairy

I do appreciate what people are saying honestly and I will try and do something about my 'hazardous' bowl. It's the way it was said that put my back up that's all.

Maybe people should try and get to know the person before jumping on them and assuming they have the brain of a chicken is all I'm saying!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like this :)

Richabi

wales uk
Hi Claire I do apologise if I've come across as having a go at you was not intentional only giving advice that was given to me it's only the welfare of your tortoise I was thinking and by no means I would think you are an idiot I was trying to be helpful to a fellow brit once again I do apologise didn't mean to insult your intelligence plz don't leave :)