Hi everyone: First time owner here!

Maximus's Mama

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

I'm a first time tortoise owner here. I got myself a sulcata tortoise, his name is Maximus and he's pretty awesome. He hatched January 9, 2014 and is already amazing me at how smart he is. During the day I created a pretty cool outdoor enclosure for him (picture coming soon) and at night he's in a 10 gallon reptile terrarium with a heat lamp. He's already getting in the water himself to drink and eats plenty dandelions, grass, weeds, and cactus throughout the day. I have yet to give him any fruit as I am afraid of him developing pyramiding. Anyhow, just wanted to introduce myself. I am Krystal and I am from Southern California. Looking forward to getting to know you and your tortoises here on the forums! Talk to you soon.

- Maximus's Mama

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Welcome...sounds fantastic...and while fruit should only be offered every so often as a treat...it as a treat will not offer the pyramiding situation all on its own,.....so a piece from time to time will make the tort light up....

M

Maggie Cummings

Welcome from Oregon... Pyramiding is not caused from eating fruit. But they are not fruit eaters, they are herbivores. To avoid pyramiding they need, a good and varied diet, strong UVB or sun, 80% humidity and a lot of exercise. I am owned by a 150 pound Sulcata and once a summer he gets watermelon and sometimes strawberries. I hope you'll enjoy yourself here...

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Krystal welcome to the TFO from AZ . A 10 gallon reptil terrarium sounds real small . So when do we get a pict of your tort in his enclosure . Well have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Krystal. Be sure to read the "Important Threads" at the top of the Sulcata section. It will enlighten you about what causes pyramiding.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good to have you here.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*waves* I am eager to see those enclosure pictures! Welcome.

Maximus's Mama

5 Year Member
image.jpg @Grandpa Turtle 144 after reading all this wonderful information, I agree it's too small. During the day he's discovering all over the backyard. But at night he sleeps in the terrarium. However, it the winter he won't have much space even though he's about 2 inches big. I am in the process of buying a tortoise table, once I get it I'll post some pics. But here's some pics to hold you over of what he's got during the day.image.jpg

Maximus's Mama

5 Year Member
Can anyone spot Maximus in the first picture? The tiny little guy to the left, near the tan colored pot. He's so tiny!! I love him :<3::tort:

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
It's so cute and tiny! I'm just worried that he/she may not be getting the humidity that it needs to help prevent pyramiding? You said your going to build a tort table? Not really the easiest to keep the humidity up!

Maximus's Mama

5 Year Member
@TortyTom I was thinking about putting it in a small office with a humidifier. But CA has a really great climate for Sulacata torts. If Sulcatas are desert torts, how much humidity would he need?

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
When it is small like that it needs over 80% humidity at all times. I am no expert by any means. I only have one sulcata but what worked for me was a closed chamber. Large aquarium with glass or plastic top. Moist substrate and good heat source on a thermostat.
@Tom would be the real expert to ask.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
80 % humidity is needed day and night . With the temperature no lower than 80º . You need to get him a better water bowl also . We use the plant saucers that you put under potted plants .

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Make sure you read the important threads at the top of the Sulcata section. (It's MUST know info.) We just love torts and want the best for your little Maximus. And we can't wait for more pics of him. We go ga ga for tort pics. lol