First tortoise! Excitement!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flakattack

5 Year Member
Hey everybody! I've just bought my first tortoise, and he's a little leopard hatchling. I've heard they're difficult to keep alive for those who've never had any before, but I spent 3 hours searching for good hatchling guides online. i've got a long, almost tupperware container for him, and two interchamgable lights. One for the sunlight/ heat during the day and a red-toned light for night. I got a bag of substrate from Petsmart and some Sorghum moss for the heated end. For the calcium, a lady I talked to with tortoises of her own suggested using tums. He's got bits of romaine to much on until I get home and am able to get everythibg set up. I used rabbit/guinea pig food with timothy hay and alfalfa listed as the first two ingredients and 13% protein, which is the lowest I could find.

Anyways! I don't really know what to do with these things. I'm a college student who finally has the finances for a tortoise. I don't know my darling's gender, but it'll be named Reginald. :D any suggestions/improvements on how to keep him alive and well? I don't want any tragedies later on.
tumblr_lmfqk4KgaQ1qzdfrfo1_1280.jpg

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Welcome to the forum! What is your name? Do you happen to have pictures of your setup? Leos are so enjoyable to have and with the proper setup, diet and care, they will be just fine as with any other tortoise hatchling.

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Welcome to the Forum! You'll find tons of helpful advice here (not from me though :D I'm a beginner as well).
Your tortoise is adorable, what is its name??

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
First off, Welcome and glad to have you! You have come to the right place for info on your new addition. Now...

I have never heard of people using TUMS for calcium. I keep cuttle bone in the enclosure and add powdered calcium at least once a day. Make sure that your daytime light is a UVA/UVB bulb. They need the UVB for vitamin D, which lets them utilize the calcium in their diet.

Romaine lettuce is not a good diet for him either. Go to the produce section of the grocery store and buy kale, dandelion greens, collard greens, just dark leafy greens in general. Think about getting some Mazuri tortoise diet also. Most people on the forum swear by it. Spineless cactus is also a great food for you new baby. They love it and it is great for them!

Be sure to be soaking him atleast once a day for about 20 minutes in "baby bath warm" water. It helps keep them hydrated and your enclosure clean. You will see why!

There are some great care sheets on here created by members. http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies That one is written for sulcatas, but it works great for leopards. http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-End-Of-Pyramiding Another good thread. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-End-Of-Pyramiding-II-The-Leopards All 3 of these threads are great for caring for a leopard hatchling. There is proof all around the forum that smooth leopards can be produced if you follow these care sheets.

I hope that helped! Once more people in America wake up, you will have many more recommendation and welcomes. Congrats on the new addition. And welcome to the addiction! :)

TortBrain

5 Year Member
Welcome and enjoy your stay here.
Cute little Leo you've gotten there.
I can feel your excitement :)

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
Welcome! You've landed on a great site with a wealth on good advise and very friendly, knowledgable members. Nice looking lil Leo..

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your little one. Agree with everything already said. You will do fine....just stay positive. You will probably find all the answers to your questions here, if not just ask. Someone with experience will pipe up and you will be off and running again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Flakattack:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Your tortoise-keeping friend must have been keeping tortoise for quite a while. Tums for calcium is very old school. No harm in it, but there are better calcium sources (cuttlebone, etc.).

Flakattack

5 Year Member
Thanks to everyone!

My name is Nikita, and his name is Reginald. I don't have a picture of the setup because I'm still en route to home. He's in a small plastic critter carrier that I've lined with paper towels so he doesn't slip around. We'll be home today.

A lady with tortoises near where I got mine said Tums worked great for her. The main ingredien is calcium carbonate. I don't think my bulb has the uvb, but I can take him out with me when I work on the garden and fulfil his needs then.

I really appreciate the help. I thought I had done decently, and it's good to hear feedback on what I did/didn't do well. I'll be checking back with pictures later!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
what are you using the rabbit pellets and timothy hay for?
have fun! READ READ READ and ask lots of questions..
dont over handle the new baby, make sure it gets lots of good hydration ( soaks) warmth and sun, Calcium and good diet..

Status
Not open for further replies.