Leopard's first salad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
My leopard is 8months old. His diet has always been natural grazing on grasses and weeds with the occasional store bought greens. When I feed him in his indoor enclosure I always make him "bushes" by clipping the leaves in a chip clip and burying it in the substrate. This is the first time I cut up leaves for him, the first time I served him a commercial pellet diet (zoo med grassland tortoise food) and his first time eating Opuntia cactus fruit..

the pellet soaking
102ji1g.jpg

the opuntia cut up and some dandelion from the pen
aktsap.jpg

creating the salad. this was fun and cute to do. i felt like i was cooking for another member of my family, lol
2qixohj.jpg

i didnt have a food dish or any slate or tiles so i used his water dish. now that i plan to do this more often i'll get something just for this..
t9d1fb.jpg

dinner time...
wkzya.jpg

34eum4j.jpg

e6vqzp.jpg

more please??
34ov7r6.jpg

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I used to think it was cute to cut the food up but now that mine is bigger and just plows through whatever I place in his enclosure I certainly don't miss cutting food up lol.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
What a cutie! Instead of getting something dedicated as a food dish, why don't you give him that, and get a bigger what dish? It looks like he is just about to outgrow that one anyway. (-:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
jtrux said:
I used to think it was cute to cut the food up but now that mine is bigger and just plows through whatever I place in his enclosure I certainly don't miss cutting food up lol.

Oh I could not imagine doing this regularly!! I have very much enjoyed the 8months of no food prep ;)

**honestly I was getting jealous that everyone's leopards were growing so much faster than mine in the same humid conditions! The only difference I noticed was the others were fed Mazuri or ZooMed. So I thought I'd try and jump on the band wagon and see if I like the results of the supplementing. We'll see ;)

NudistApple said:
What a cutie! Instead of getting something dedicated as a food dish, why don't you give him that, and get a bigger what dish? It looks like he is just about to outgrow that one anyway. (-:

Thank you :) I think he is a cutie too!

He has 2 of the large sized saucers in his outdoor pen. For now, I keep the small one in the indoor enclosure because he is only in at night or on cold days. The more room for him to roam when inside the better! But I'll consider your idea, thanks!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Dont let the faster growth rates distract you from your regiment. Mine are 17 months and 11.5 months old and the oldest hasn't even broken the 100 gm mark yet. (the youngest, Eros , is however at 122 gm)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Zamric, your leos helped keep me sane. When I kept hearing these huge growth rates I started to doubt myself. When you posted your size and weights in another thread it put me back at ease.
I will keep my conditions and routine the same except now add grassland tortoise mix maybe a few times a week. I figure it can't hurt :)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Team Gomberg said:
Zamric, your leos helped keep me sane. When I kept hearing these huge growth rates I started to doubt myself. When you posted your size and weights in another thread it put me back at ease.
I will keep my conditions and routine the same except now add grassland tortoise mix maybe a few times a week. I figure it can't hurt :)

The key to Diet in these guys is variety! in other words.... a little Grasslands wont hurt at all! ;)

Katherine

5 Year Member
Your tortoise is stunning! I find Mazuri to be an exponential growth accelerant and am sure people feeding this as a larger portion of the tortoises diet will see a greater increase in weight per age. Although I haven't personally witnessed any negative health consequences from rapid growth in my own tortoises, it doesn't seem natural and it isn't something I strive for. I don't mind if other people's tortoises get bigger faster, as long as mine are healthy and happy :)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Katherine said:
Your tortoise is stunning! I find Mazuri to be an exponential growth accelerant and am sure people feeding this as a larger portion of the tortoises diet will see a greater increase in weight per age. Although I haven't personally witnessed any negative health consequences from rapid growth in my own tortoises, it doesn't seem natural and it isn't something I strive for. I don't mind if other people's tortoises get bigger faster, as long as mine are healthy and happy :)

Ditto!:cool:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Zamric said:
Katherine said:

Ditto!:cool:

thank you both :)

Status
Not open for further replies.