Temporary Enclosure

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Napa, Ca
So we have our guy set up in a temporary enclosure, and it's only able to maintain a steady day and night temperature of around 87 degrees. for some reason his new basking lamp just isn't putting off the kind of heat we were hoping for. He's in a 60 gallon tub (high sides) which is about 18 inches by 48 inches. he has a food dish, a water dish, hide, CHE, heat lamp, and a UV lamp. He's on orchid bark. We have the top partially covered with a plastic lid to try to help retain heat, what else can we do, or does that sound alright?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
What size CHE? You might need to just bump up the size of your CHE. And one big thing to maintain temps is to make a totally enclosed enclosure. Trust me. Once you get a fully enclosed enclosure, it's very easy to keep and maintain even humidity and temps. W/o a good lid, it's just a battle.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto on the closed chamber, not partially closed. Also try lowering the light and it will read hotter at substrate level. You have to get the basking spot 95-100 or they can't properly digest their food which of course will cause health problems.

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Napa, Ca
Should I get a stronger bulb then? because this thing just isn't doing it. Just added another 60W che, and 2 pieces of plexiglass. It is not sealed/secure fit. there are still air gaps. My tub has large plastic tabs along the rim that prohibit the plexiglass from making contact all the way around. I'm so damn stressed about the fires, and now this. I can't figure this crap out. I have 24 hours to get his enclosure just right, then we have to bring him to a friends a few towns over to be cared for while we go on a work trip/escape the smoke. Can someone please just spell it our for me, step by step, what I need to do/bulid in the next 24 hours. My brain hurts.

My current materials:
2 60 w CHE with fixtures.
1 75w halogen flood
1 Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 T5-Ho UVB 24w 22"
20"x42" tub
Two 25"x 20 pieces of plexiglass
fine orchid bark
hefty tub w/hole cut out of side for a Hide
two flower pot bases for food/water.
A PVC rack for hanging lights.
1 jumpstart Heat probe/termostat control
1 Wall timer for lights

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Napa, Ca
Mind you, this temporary enclosure is just due to having to evacuate due to fires

Melis

Maryland
I've seen many people enclose the entire thing (lights and all) in foil to maintain temp

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Napa, Ca
Ok, so I went to Home depot and bought copper pipe insulation (wrap) to put around edge of the tub, this creates a nice seal around the rim for the plexiglass to set on.