RedFootTortAz

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to read this I know it’s a lot! I will attach photos, please let me know what I can do to improve the quality of life for our newest family member. Any suggestions/advice is welcome :)

My family and I recently adopted a baby red foot after building a 3x5x16 home for it.
For substrate we are using sphagnum peat moss mixed with a smaller portion of reptibark in different areas to give a different texture among other things.
For lighting I have a 100w UVB bulb but haven’t used it yet because I am unsure if it needs it and am concerned that it might be too strong.
For heat on the other side I am using a 100w ceramic infrared heat emitter.
For water I am using a few 6 inch wide shallow water catchers that are used on planters. As well as a few shallow Tupperware lids that are small but placed in different areas.
For humidity we were using the zoomed reptile humidifier but it stopped working day one. We are returning it today and getting a new one. Until then we are using a mini humidifier that’s never been used with anything other than water. To help trap the humidity we used a shower shower curtain liner. It’s currently white but we are also picking up a clear liner that will be attached to two poles to make it taught so more of the sun can shine through. It also only covers a portion of our tortoises home. We have had our baby for 2 days and I have soaked it both days due to us living in a dry climate as well as misting it throughout the day. We also made the bottom layer of the peat moss moist to help with humidity and have water under the heat lamp to help. As well as a couple humidity/temperature gauges through out it’s home.
1st photo - the home with its proximity to the window. It only gets indirect sunlight at all times.
2nd photo - humidity/temp at CHE end
3rd photo - humidity/temp at covered side near hideaway
Again thank you for any feedback. I am fully committed to taking the best care I can of our little buddy. Please let me know if you need additional info or if I should be doing anything differently.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hello and welcome. If you keep it enclosed with the shower curtain you shouldn't need the humidifier. Just dump a bunch of water in the substrate and mix it up. Just make sure the top layer isn't sopping wet. If you can find a way to get your tort outside just a few hours a week then you don't need a uvb light indoors.

RedFootTortAz

Arizona
For taking him outside, would him getting some sunshine during his daily soak work? I only ask because I live in AZ and it’s extremely hot during the day and don’t want him to burn his feet or anything. I unfortunately do not have any grass that hasn’t possibly had pesticides used on it.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
For taking him outside, would him getting some sunshine during his daily soak work? I only ask because I live in AZ and it’s extremely hot during the day and don’t want him to burn his feet or anything. I unfortunately do not have any grass that hasn’t possibly had pesticides used on it.
Ya that would work.