Baby Red Foot Tortoise Help

crabby-J

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I now have everything needed for my baby RF but I need to find a baby RF! I need to have it shipped ASAP as it is getting cold and there are so many websites that sell them I do not know who to trust.

I have $140 now for a baby and that must include the shipping price and I have found several sites where I could order but need help selecting.

Can someone help me?
I want to make sure I get a healthy baby! Here are some of the sites I was looking at:

Snakes at sunset
Tortoise Supply
Underground Reptiles

If there is someone/someplace that I can trust to get a healthy baby RF please do let me know right away!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Scratch off UNDERGROUND REPTILES. (Per previous thread.) Tortoise supply is reputable, however there are several breeders here, so wait a day or two more...I'm sure that someone will be along soon.

crabby-J

Michigan
I checked the breeders list but they were way to much money then what I have, tortoise supply is a little out of my range, I thought they had RF's under $100 :( So I'll forget about underground reptiles then, not sure what thread you are referring to but I'll take your word for it! I don't want to spend more then $140 total with shipping :)

crabby-J

Michigan
what about snakes at sunset? they had the best prices just not sure about quality

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
I understand unfortunate budget realities (I've had to delay a tort purchase myself) but I have been very happy with Tortoise Supply and have read nothing but good things. For what it's worth, I dont recall seeing redfoots cheaper that the $120 tortoise supply has listed.
Best of luck and good choice on the redfoot. Great species.

crabby-J

Michigan
I need help from a experienced red foot owner :( I'm getting so frustrated the last few days with little Red..

Having some issues:
Red is not eating hardly anything at all..maybe a nibble of greens and a tiny piece of strawberry a day :(
Red seems dry and has watery eyes and sleeps like 23 hours a day :(

What I'm doing:
I still have him in a smaller tank (with covered screen top) since I have to order a heat emitter to put him in another enclosure I have for him. The tank is at 80-85 degrees 24-7, he seems to like the darker/warmer end of the tank the most and just sleeps there all day unless I move him. My house is cold (with dry air) and I have another enclosure for him that is "open" like a clear storage bin but the bulbs I have do not keep it warm enough to put him in it yet. I was going to get a heat emitter and see if that works. I'm having a hard time with humidity. I soak Red once to twice a day as well as spraying him and he still dries out fast and has "wet eyes". Another reason I don't want to put him in a open container where he would dry out more. I even have wet spag moss in his tank so I don't get it :( I'm not sure how to keep a storage bin warm enough for him, i cannot run space heaters and can only rely on bulbs or a heat emitter... and misting the tank...and him

I feed him 2-3 times a day different fresh greens, fruits and sometimes chicken and he only eats like a "pea" sized amount and goes and hides daily..no matter what i do, I'll soak him in warm water to get his eyes to open, he sits there for 10 mins nibbles and wants to go back to sleep and hide...

I'm getting to the point where I should just find him another home, I don't get why it's so hard to care for him :( If I set up the storage bin with the lamps and everything else he needs he will be cold and dry out more :( I can't leave him in the tank he's in, I even tried a larger tank but it only got to 70-75 degrees with heat mats on the side and a basking lamp! and the humidity went to 50% no matter how much I sprayed and wet the spag moss :( I am clueless.....

crabby-J

Michigan
Anyone live somewhere cold and dry with a baby tort that can help me out?? I need someone to talk to daily if possible, I'm so stuck and don't want him to die :( everything I read is different, a red foot site side to use a bin like I have, wet spag moss and lamps but it won't work where I live, it does not get warm enough and the air is to dry even with a humidifier :( I keep my hermit crabs in a 50 gallon breeder with an insulated top and UTH mats on the side walls above the sub and it stays 84 degrees at 85% humidity 24-7 but I can't get the tortoise thing down, I'm lost...Should I set the tort up like I do my crabs? That is the only thing I can think of to make his environment correct??

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Pm me some pics and ill see if I can help

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I have 2 baby cherry head torts & I live in MI & it's freezing. But what kind of bulbs are you using? Coil bulbs are not good for the torts eyes, it's said to be damaging. Plus baby torts are not very active! Don't stress we will help you out!! Can you take pics of your enclosure that your tortoise is in?

crabby-J

Michigan
I will take pics, I'm in the process of getting a 90 gallon for my crabs and I was thinking of using one of my 50 gallons for baby Red once I move the crabs out of it. I will not use the UVA/UVB coil bulb any more, I did not know that! I had it as a spare for the crabs so I thought to use it but I use the tube lights in crabs tank now and will have a spare tube UVA/UVB's from that tank to use for Red. :) Thanks guys, is using my old 50 breeder ok for now? You can help me set it up for Red once it's empty if that is ok? Do you guys have pics of you baby's tanks homes???

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
We'll always help you. The first step is to get us pictures so we can see what your doing.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

crabby-J

Michigan
wow that is awesome!! ok so how do you keep it warm and moist enough? I have a container similar to that I can use, plus I have 2 lamps and a lamp stand to use with it for the basking light, I have a 75 watt basking/UVA or UVB bulb, plus I wanted to get a heat emitter.

My camera batt is charging, I will have to get pics once it's charged :)

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Every other day I get a container of warm water and take handfuls of the moss and dunk it the container. I cover 1/2 off my bin with cling wrap too to increase the humidity. I mist my torts daily too. My torts are in a spare bedroom. There are 3 mercury vapor bulbs going. It's very warm in there!!!!! I have other torts in the room as well, larger ones. Just know that you have a baby tort and babies sleep a lot. But as long as you removed the coil bulb, great start!!! Upload pics for us when you are situated so that we can help you :)