Help with red foot Tortoise please. Humidity.

kirst1995y

Location (City and/or State)
Stoke-on-Trent
Hi, my father has had his tortoise about 9 years now and for the vast majority hasn't been looking after the poor fella properly due to flase information given about diet etc from the so called expert breeder. Poor lad started to pyramid abit due to said wrong diet. My Father has some sort of intellectual disabilty and thus ignored me for years saying he needed to go to the Vet. I eventually give up and take him myself. Diet sorted and Tortoise shell is in better condition and he has grown well since. However I noticed his shell and skin were abit dry so took him to the Vets as soon as there was an appointment. He is in good shape and health apart from his dry skin and shell. Vet said the shell is strong and doesn't have shell rot etc. She told us to increase his baths and try a different supplement and to see her in 6 months if things haven't improved. She also mentioned getting a heat mat and putting some water on it causing evaporation. Our lad is in a tortoise table. I am just concerned that he will burn himself. I think he should change the substrate to peat instead of this wooden Cat flaming litter.

In conclusion any advise about increasing humidity so his shell and skin get better please. The vet said it doesn't warrant any lotions etc.

We are in England .

So if this doesn't make sense, really stressed out to say the least.

Cherryman304

Hi, my father has had his tortoise about 9 years now and for the vast majority hasn't been looking after the poor fella properly due to flase information given about diet etc from the so called expert breeder. Poor lad started to pyramid abit due to said wrong diet. My Father has some sort of intellectual disabilty and thus ignored me for years saying he needed to go to the Vet. I eventually give up and take him myself. Diet sorted and Tortoise shell is in better condition and he has grown well since. However I noticed his shell and skin were abit dry so took him to the Vets as soon as there was an appointment. He is in good shape and health apart from his dry skin and shell. Vet said the shell is strong and doesn't have shell rot etc. She told us to increase his baths and try a different supplement and to see her in 6 months if things haven't improved. She also mentioned getting a heat mat and putting some water on it causing evaporation. Our lad is in a tortoise table. I am just concerned that he will burn himself. I think he should change the substrate to peat instead of this wooden Cat flaming litter.

In conclusion any advise about increasing humidity so his shell and skin get better please. The vet said it doesn't warrant any lotions etc.

We are in England .

So if this doesn't make sense, really stressed out to say the least.
You will have to do a closed chamber to he able to Increase humidity and be able to keep it. I have seen people on here use indoor greenhouses. Other then that you will probably have to build something. If you research closed chamber enclosure you will see some ideas.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Seconding the closed chamber... it's the best way to maintain the heat and humidity your redfoot needs in order to thrive.

Everything gets easier once you have the enclosure sorted....

Jamie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The type of substrate you use goes a long way towards providing the humidity the tortoise requires. Use something that can be moistened.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Thank you soooooo much. I have just started this group, is there anyway to leave to leave you great feedback

You're very welcome, but that's not necessary. This is a great place, filled with great people and great information.

I use cypress mulchfor my enclosure's substrate, which seems to hold moisture quite well.

Jamie

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Do you mean actual cat litter?