First time tortoise!

Mommyof4

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hello! My name is Crystal from Wisconsin. I will be receiving my very first tortoise (Russian) on Tuesday and I'm beyond excited!!!! Any advice will be greatly appreciated. There is so much conflicting information out there, I would hate to harm my tortoise unknowingly. I will be setting up an indoor table soon, but I'm having a very hard time finding something I like. Does anyone know a good website? Thanks very much!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Crystal, and welcome to the Forum!

Almost anything you plan for an indoor habitat is going to be too small for a Russian tortoise. I'm assuming you're getting a full grown tortoise? They're small, but they need an awful lot of roaming space.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Mommyof4

Wisconsin
I was hoping to build one in the corner of the room so he/she could have a little more room. Do you happen to know good dimensions to use? And thank you for responding so soon! I love this place already!!!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Crystal welcome to the TFO from AZ . Sorry about replieing so slow but I work nights so I had to take my nap . But I'm up now til 7am . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

BobbiandZumi

Welcome! I recently joined as well, just picked up my first tortoise (Sulcata) yesterday! I'm interested in dimensions as well. How old is your Russian?

M

Maggie Cummings

Hey...Crystal from Wisconsin; (that's kind of an odd name tho). Make your habitat as big as you can, that way you won't have to redo it. As for a good website for enclosures here's a link...
.tortoiseforum.org/forums/tortoise-enclosures.7/

welcome to TFO, your go to website for everything...

Mommyof4

Wisconsin
Thank you very much for the useful info!!! My husband is building it today, and we decided to put it in the corner so he has more space and use a ramp (with railing so he doesn't fall) that goes to another level which will give him even more space! Now, can anyone tell me what is the best to use for substrate? I did some research and it seems this is highly debatable also. My original thought was to use play sand mixed with soil, but it seems the sand may be too dry and I will have to worry about harmful substances in the soil. Suggestions? Thanks everyone!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow! I wish my Walmart sold that! The only place I can find it is in the pet stores...little bitty bags for $8.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Wow! I wish my Walmart sold that! The only place I can find it is in the pet stores...little bitty bags for $8.

747117wei24kafiu.gif
I know right ! It's super cheap I had to but a few bags now I have enough for the next year :D

M

Maggie Cummings

Sand can cause impaction as it sticks to their food and is ingested. You can use top soil, without additives, or just search the big box stores for orchid bark or cypress mulch. Look at nursery’s too...