Hello! First time poster..

Haylo

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Hi, new to this page, going to be getting a red foot tortoise- have been doing research there there’s so much conflicting information out there! I heard this was the place to go for the best info ?.. I have a couple questions- what kind of light is best for a red foot? Besides live bugs/worms is there any other source of protein I can give? It will mostly be kept indoors but taken outside in summer.. Can I use a tank? Appreciate all redfoot info you can tell me! Thank you!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. I am sure an expert will help you out

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
How did you choose a redfoot? Chicago might not be the best place to keep a large tortoise that needs such a large space, temperatures consistently above 80F, and humidity above 80%. It will require a lot of dedication to give this tortoise what it needs.

There is a section of the forum dedicated to red and yellowfoot tortoises:

Here's a care sheet that's pinned at the top of the forum:

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Redfoot are great! I love my little chi chi! Read up on that care sheet, but for lights I like my forest arcadia stripe and I wouldn't use a tank. You won't be able to find one large enough. I use grow tents for mine. The care sheet should answer your protein question ?

After you've looked over that we can answer all your other questions about it ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
It's great that you are doing your research before getting your tort. There is a lot of old information on the internet but you've come to the right place for up to date advice now.

The caresheet will really help you decide if a redfoot is suited to your climate and circumstances and there are plenty of very experienced redfoot keepers here who will be able to give you advice on the best type of home for them.