First time here, can I grow my own grass for my tortoise in a plastic kid pool?

Utapie

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
My boyfriend and I are getting a Sulcata tortoise soon and have been doing our research and read that theyre diet consists a lot of grazing grass and such but that's a issue for us since we live in Las Vegas and where we currently leave, we dont have grass. So my boyfriend and I thought maybe buying a large tub for now, and filling it with dirt and trying to grow our own grass and when it's time for the tortoise to graze, we put it in the tub but not sure if this would work? It would be the size of a kid swimming pool?
1. We know nothing about growing grass sadly so not sure if it'll work.
This would only be temporary until my boyfriend and I get a bigger place and we're planning on getting a baby Sulcata so I think it would be big enough until it grows

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sulcata grow fast. He would need a yard with grass, weeds, etc in two years if raised correctly, three years tops.
To answer your question, yes, you can grow your own grass, weeds, etc.
Please be sure to read this forums caresheet and closed chamber threads. He needs high humidity in a closed chamber to grow properly. He needs to be fed enough food daily that he can graze off and on all day.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
My boyfriend and I are getting a Sulcata tortoise soon and have been doing our research and read that theyre diet consists a lot of grazing grass and such but that's a issue for us since we live in Las Vegas and where we currently leave, we dont have grass. So my boyfriend and I thought maybe buying a large tub for now, and filling it with dirt and trying to grow our own grass and when it's time for the tortoise to graze, we put it in the tub but not sure if this would work? It would be the size of a kid swimming pool?
1. We know nothing about growing grass sadly so not sure if it'll work.
This would only be temporary until my boyfriend and I get a bigger place and we're planning on getting a baby Sulcata so I think it would be big enough until it grows
That's certainly possible. Poke holes in the pool for drainage, fill it with decent dirt, and plant whatever seeds you get. Usually a seed is planted as deep as 4 times its size, which isn't deep at all. Water very gently. Keep the soil moist until the seeds sprout, then keep watering when it looks dry. In LV that might be more than once a day.

Then you have to figure out how to move that pool.

For a baby the grass would last a while. As it grows you'll have to think of something else. Which is always possible.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
My guess is the idea is to have this pool going inside, right? With lights over it? Cool idea, doubt it will work but very cool idea.

Welcome to the club....and listen to W above....you might to look at a Russian for indoors. It really sounds like you don't have a big enough boat for a Sulc. 1 year is all you'd have indoors and while it doesn't seem like it, it will FLY by!

There, I did my "dad thing".....truth is, I never listened either......good luck to you guys!

Utapie

Las Vegas
Sulcata grow fast. He would need a yard with grass, weeds, etc in two years if raised correctly, three years tops.
To answer your question, yes, you can grow your own grass, weeds, etc.
Please be sure to read this forums caresheet and closed chamber threads. He needs high humidity in a closed chamber to grow properly. He needs to be fed enough food daily that he can graze off and on all day.
Where would I find the forum care sheet and closed chambers thread? Sorry it's my second day using this site!

Utapie

Las Vegas
My guess is the idea is to have this pool going inside, right? With lights over it? Cool idea, doubt it will work but very cool idea.

Welcome to the club....and listen to W above....you might to look at a Russian for indoors. It really sounds like you don't have a big enough boat for a Sulc. 1 year is all you'd have indoors and while it doesn't seem like it, it will FLY by!

There, I did my "dad thing".....truth is, I never listened either......good luck to you guys!
The pool would be outside! Sorry for not specifing. We would be taking the Sulcata out to graze and to get natural sunlight but since where we live, we don't have any grass. We would try growing some for him specifically. This is just temporary. We know they grow very big and can be destructive so we plan on getting a place that would be good for the guy but for now as a baby, he would be indoors.