First time caring for a tortoise...

windsong

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi all!
I’m new to the forum and looking for some advice.
I’ve recently moved in with my partner who has a 7 year old Tortoise who he admits hasn’t received proper care, so I’ve decided to step up and make him mine.
he’s currently in a huge, cage type enclosure. He has his bulb, a hide and a bit or bark to climb on and itch his shell on. He was on pellet type substrate but I noticed he struggled with moving around so I’ve put him on coir - enough depth to dig - and he’s much happier.
He has a selection of food, 3 bowls with soaked pellets in one, dried leaves (bagged tortoise food) on another and fresh fruit and veggies in the third. I also sprinkle a little calcium powder on his food. When weather permits, I do put him outside in the sun (with some shade and water), though in his enclosure and the garden isn’t suitable at the moment.
Is there anything else I need to make sure I’m doing to ensure he’s happy and healthy?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Hi all!
I’ve recently moved in with my partner who has a 7 year old Tortoise who he admits hasn’t received proper care, so I’ve decided to step up and make him mine.
he’s currently in a huge, cage type enclosure. He has his bulb, a hide and a bit or bark to climb on and itch his shell on. He was on pellet type substrate but I noticed he struggled with moving around so I’ve put him on coir - enough depth to dig - and he’s much happier.
He has a selection of food, 3 bowls with soaked pellets in one, dried leaves (bagged tortoise food) on another and fresh fruit and veggies in the third. I also sprinkle a little calcium powder on his food. When weather permits, I do put him outside in the sun (with some shade and water), though in his enclosure and the garden isn’t suitable at the moment.
Is there anything else I need to make sure I’m doing to ensure he’s happy and healthy?

Prepare yourself for some questions. Answering questions as specifically as possible would immensely help members get enough information to provide you with the best advice and care. No one here is interested in judging others of what they're doing. Members just want to make sure every new member has the tools they need to give their tortoises the best level of care possible. Not the most expensive level of care but the best possible level of care achievable through normal means.

1. Please take clear pictures of the entire enclosure. Many items sold by pet shops are in reality poorly made and even harmful to tortoises. A good clear picture of the tortoise is also most welcome.
2. Take a picture of the light bulb because members need to see what type of shape it is to know if its safe for use.
3. What the temperature zones (cool side, hot side, basking spot, and ambient/mid) and humidity levels are during the day and night.
4. What type of tortoise is this? Do you know that even a small species adult tortoise requires a minimum of 8ft x 4ft enclosure in order to give them enough space to exercise and explore.
5. What specific type of diet are you feeding the tortoise? Is this tortoise a species that can handle the processing of sugary fruits?
6. Is the outdoor enclosure escape proof? Is it protected from outside potential predators? Do you have multiple water dishes, shades spots, and hides in the outdoor enclosure? Are outdoor visits supervised?
7. How large is the indoor enclosure?

You're correct in thinking that pellet substrate is not good for tortoise. A lot of pet shops will unknowingly sell you items that may have barely worked decades back but we now know are harmful to tortoises. It's not in their job description to learn about newer and safer husbandry practices so they sell what manufacturers offer them.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
@Minority2 has said pretty much everything.
Its important that we see these things so that we can help you better.
Also, fruit is dangerous for many species to eat. Although they love eating it. Many species (most) are incapable of processing sugars.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all!
Hello and welcome. The first thing we need to know before we can help is what species? If you don't know, just post some pics of the top and bottom of the shell and we will help you figure it out.