First Pet

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Auburn, Alabama
What was everybody's very first pet that they owned and took care of.

I was 7 when I got my first pet an it was a salt water Eel. I named him Zebra since he was a Zebra Moray Eel.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
my first real pet was a hamster named fuzzy lol. Since then I have had more hamsters, mice, rabbits, dogs, cats, fish, a hedgehog, ball python, argentine tegu, leopard tortoise, hermit crabs, guinea pig, gerbil. All within my 18 years of life :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My first was also when I was seven. I got a dog for my birthday, a Pomeranian. She ended up being the family dog though, not just mine. I have had many types of animals since and still do.

TxTortMan

5 Year Member
My first pet I really took care of was a little baby red eared slider when I was 6. Still have him too!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
My first pet was a snapping turtle the size of a half dollar.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Technically, my first pet, other than the family dogs and cats, was a caimen. I was in first grade and at that time, a pet shop employee made no bones about sending me on my way with him. He lived in one of our bathtubs for 3-4 days before my mother wrote them a note telling them to exchange it for a gopher snake and habitat which they did.

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
My first pet after the family dog was a box turtle named Sheldon. He lived in a plastic swimming pool in my room and when the landlord would come over we'd slide the pool under my bed because we weren't supposed to have pets :)

Ayrrow

5 Year Member
I got Cassie, a Westie, when I was 4, she died when I was 7 saving our goats from a 6ft rattle snake.
I have had other dogs, cats, Guinepigs, gerbils, a horse, goats, fish, a bird, and now a Greek tort named Mikey;)

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
My first family pet was Midnight the husky/lab mix. She was awesome, we still compare all the other dogs to her on occasion. The first pet that was "mine" was my cockatiel, Buddy. And my first pet that I was actually 100% responsible for is my Border Collie, Apollo.

Somewhere between all that I've had finches, canaries, a chicken(Tweety), rabbits (Thumper, Oreo, Cuddles, and Cotton Candy), a duck (Quackers), a Sheltie (Sandy), another Border Collie (Holly), 18 or so other cockatiels, two black cats (Pepper and Ricky), lots and lots of fish, anoles, two or three hamsters, ferrets (Abby and Lucy), a conure (Kip), two crested geckos (Petunia and Marigold), a leopard gecko, two tree frogs (Humphrey and Bogart), my Bengal kitten, Spock, and of course my Hermann's tortoise, Carl.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using TortForum mobile app

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
My first pet ever was Jasmine the black lab. My parents had her before I was born and she died when I was little but I remember the two of us exploring the woods together and her picking the burs off my clothes with her teeth before we got home so mom wouldn't see ;) The way my Dad tells it my entire family wouldn't exist without her. Before I was born my parents were house sitting for my grandparents and some bad electrical in the attic caught fire during the night. Just the smoke was drifting down at first so my parents could have slept through it and asphyxiated in their sleep. Jazzy barked for awhile and Dad just sort of yelled at her and rolled back over. She had to grab his arm and pull him out of bed before he woke up enough to realize the room was filling with smoke.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My first pet was a teddy bear hamster named Wiskers. Although when I was about 6yrs old I thought every roly poly in the front yard was my pet too ;) They were nicely fed, now whether they ate or not is another question haha.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
My first pet was a black lab named Cindy when I was 5 and she died shortly before I graduated high school. My first pets of my own were two gerbils when I was 7 named Louie and Hewie and were unknowingly male and female and had two babies named Dewie and Chewie but the babies died. Hewie went on to live for about 4-5 years though and I've basically always had gerbils and black labs since.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The first one that was actually "mine" besides the family dogs and cats was my box turtle. Tommy turtle. He was sold to us as a "Western Box Turtle". I was 7. I gave him away to another kid when I was 17 and too busy pursuing other things.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: First Pet

Cowboy_Ken said:
Technically, my first pet, other than the family dogs and cats, was a caimen. I was in first grade and at that time, a pet shop employee made no bones about sending me on my way with him. He lived in one of our bathtubs for 3-4 days before my mother wrote them a note telling them to exchange it for a gopher snake and habitat which they did.

This one is funny!

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Heather,
One of my sisters was understanding enough to let me feed it her gold fish. She had a number of them till he lived with us.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: First Pet

Cowboy_Ken said:
Heather,
One of my sisters was understanding enough to let me feed it her gold fish. She had a number of them till he lived with us.

This is one of those stories I'd love to hear details of while chomping on popcorn. Oh man, and to hear moms side, too.
Thanks for the little glimpse, though. :D

Heather

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Ha!!! I was going to say "sitting around a campfire" but thought it would come off too weird! :)

Great minds think alike! :D

Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.