Status
Not open for further replies.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
Can you remember way back when,/ some more way back than others ) :D

what your first ever pet was, that was yours to look after,

Mine was a hamster, cannot remember its name, but i was about 7 at the time.:D:D:D:D

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
I had a three hamsters! One was a big fat teddy bear named Brownie, and the other two were both Syberian dwarves. I named them Nibbles and Dutches. Not long after that I got into keeping frogs. I had a Rococo toad, some fire bellied toads, red-eyed tree frogs, and all sorts of other cuties.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I had two goldfish, named Tish and Tosh. I think I named them after characters in Andy Pandy. They were fairground fish, and I later had a little silver goldfish added to the collection named Silvie. The three of them lasted long enough that my mum decided they'd be happier in the pond outside - I was six or seven when I looked out of the window one day and saw a couple of teenage boys in the garden with buckets taking all the water from the pond. One looked up and saw me, pointed me out to his friend and they both ran off - by the time I'd told my mum and we'd gone outside all three fish were lying in the mud. They were alive, and we put them in a tank inside, but they only survived a few more days.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Shorthair tabby cat named Muffin. Teddy bear hamster named Breadcrumbs.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
A total mutt named King. King was a terrier looking black and white dog.He was born one of ten puppies to a female a few houses down. She was so poorly kept, the day before she gave birth she never looked pregnant. My Mom wasn't willing to buy one of them for me (like $10 I think), so I conned our next door neighbor man to pay for him.:D Of course the female could not feed all these pups and in the "wisdom" of the owners, they decided the smallest should be the first to go. My pup was the smallest one, way less then half the size of the biggest pup. If memory serves me, King was five weeks old when he came home. Was not weaned (or even started to be), so my Mom bought puppy milk and kept him alive.

King was very special to me, as you might have guessed. It was with him I dreamed of becoming a dog trainer after seeing some competition on TV. :D He was only a few years old, when he was found to have epilepsy. In the end, from the marks on the ground, he died during a seizure.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Jacqui said:
A total mutt named King. King was a terrier looking black and white dog.He was born one of ten puppies to a female a few houses down. She was so poorly kept, the day before she gave birth she never looked pregnant. My Mom wasn't willing to buy one of them for me (like $10 I think), so I conned our next door neighbor man to pay for him.:D Of course the female could not feed all these pups and in the "wisdom" of the owners, they decided the smallest should be the first to go. My pup was the smallest one, way less then half the size of the biggest pup. If memory serves me, King was five weeks old when he came home. Was not weaned (or even started to be), so my Mom bought puppy milk and kept him alive.

King was very special to me, as you might have guessed. It was with him I dreamed of becoming a dog trainer after seeing some competition on TV. :D He was only a few years old, when he was found to have epilepsy. In the end, from the marks on the ground, he died during a seizure.

That's so sad. :(

It really is one of those situations, though, that makes you think how lucky we are to have our pets in our lives for however long we do.

jjbird60

5 Year Member
I had a greyhound named mikey. He did of heart cancer!:( :( I was 7

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
I had a goldfish that I named after myself! Hahaha
I was like 3 so I guess that explains why I named it after myself :p lol

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I got a golden retriever puppy when I was 11, he passed away from cancer when i was 23. He was the best dog in the world and I still miss him everyday.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We had dogs and cats, but those were family pets, not mine. We also had a carnival gold fish named Linus, but he too was sort of a family pet. The first pet that was actually mine was Tommy turtle. He was sold to us as a "Western Box Turtle" back in 1979. I was 7 and he was my birthday present. I begged for him for months and loved him very much. I'm still not sure of the species. He might have been a three toed box turtle and not a Western. Don't know. Stupidly, I gave him away. I was a typical impetuous teenager and didn't have time for my turtle now that I was heading for college... What a jackass mistake that was. I wish I could go back in time and fix that...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
My very first pet was a box turtle. My dad had some, but they were there before I was born. when I was about 5 he found some babies in the yard and gave me one. The oldest one we had, which was there when I was born was Frank, and when my Dad died my sister took over the house, and he was there until the Summer before last. Last Summer he didn't come up from hibernation. He was well over 60 years old. The one that was mine was robbed from our yard when we had contractors come in to renovate the yard. She was over 50 years old.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As a family, we always had cats and dogs, but I never really had a pet of my own...except for the fleas I used to keep in a jar. :p

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
My very first pet was a Syrian hamster named Pinky :p I was probably 8-9 years old when I got him.

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
My first pet (not family pet) was a tiny black kitten my mom found in the street. The presumable momma cat had been hit by a car :(
I bottle-fed that kitten as a result, and it was a great learning experience in life and in love. Had her for the duration of the year, and she disappeared after she got out on Halloween. My mom told me years later (so as to not traumatize me as a child when she simply said that she found a new family that needed to be taught the meaning of love) that she believed some sort of cult got to her (we do have that problem in some parts).
Coolest kitten ever. She used to sit on my shoulders and watch me play Mario Bros. There is not a day that goes by that I don't feel awful that she got out. :(

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
My first pet was a dog, but I was two and didn't take care of hime until I was a bit older. I don't really remember when it became my job to take care of the animals. He knew he was mine though and was very protective. I had two other dogs growing up lots of cats, mice, hamsters, a lizard, rabbits, frogs rabbits and a rat. The dogs and a couple of the cats were mine. My sister had a couple dogs to but her always had bad luck.

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
I remember having hamsters, gerbils and goldfish. We had a black lab named Sumo when I was growing up. But my first puppy that was really mine to raise and take care of was Barklie. She was a mini schnauzer..she passed away about a year and a half ago. Now I have Bella, Peanut and of course Wilbur.

Status
Not open for further replies.