Pet relocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Has anyone relocated their pet internationally before??
Or even nationally?

Nick & I want to buy a puppy when we're home in July, and bring it back with us.
Dogs are ridiculously expensive here......Cheapest was 9000dirhams, which is more than my salary, and most expensive was 17 000dirhams, which is less than Nick's salary, its crazy. But I just want to know if anyone has experienced it? And if so, was it HELLUVA expensive?? I've requested quotes from a few pet relocation companies in South Africa, but will just have to see.

Thanks in advance :D

NEVER MIND!!!!!

Just got one quote back from one of the pet relocation companies....I may as well buy a puppy here :(

sendie

10 Year Member!
Lake Jackson, TX
I have no idea about relocating from one country to another. At one time we did look into taking our dogs into Hawaii and it was a 4 month period of working with our vet and filling out paperwork to avoid the quarantine and some other things I can't remember, then my husband got transferred so it was all for nothing. I know the airline price was almost the same as for a person to fly one of them over there, but we have greyhounds so they're BIG!
Good luck with getting a puppy! Does Dubai not have adoption agencies where you can adopt instead of buying? Maybe that would be an option and would be a bit less expensive? We adopted our dogs from the dog track after they were retired.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Thanks sendie :) Dubai does have k9 adoption places, not many, but a couple....we've been to them and I hated walking out there without a doggy! I would take them all home if I could. But to be completely honest, I dnt want to sound shallow or anything, but we'd really like a pure breed dog, french bulldog, miniature daschund, boston terrier, pug, and these adoption places only have the arabian desert saluki dogs, here's a pic below of what they look like..... They are pure breed dogs, but the ones in the adoption places are mixed breeds of who knows what. Nothing wrong with mixed breeds, Nick and I have both had them before, but we would prefer one of those types as I mentioned.

http://pavementsofsilver.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/saluki.jpg

Hope I dnt sounds too horrid :( But we'll see, just gotta save, save, save!!!!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Stace,
I am sorry to hear that dogs are so expensive where you live. Did you try to find a breeder in Dubai, maybe it will be cheaper :)

Stazz

5 Year Member
I actually think I may have found one or two, they're not as expensive as the pet stores, they are between 3500 and 5000, so we'll see !! :)
Things are looking up! I was ready to throw the towel in hehe, no giving up here though!!!!!!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Stazz said:
I actually think I may have found one or two, they're not as expensive as the pet stores, they are between 3500 and 5000, so we'll see !! :)
Things are looking up! I was ready to throw the towel in hehe, no giving up here though!!!!!!

Good luck Stace :D
Your dog is probably waiting for you somewhere :D

sendie

10 Year Member!
Lake Jackson, TX
I don't think you're horrible at all for knowing what you want, all dogs need a home wherever they come from. We babysat a Boston "Terror" once for a week - couldn't keep him off the kitchen cabinets - he jumped better than a cat! Good luck with the Great Puppy Search!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Bostons are very high energy. My mom has one named Daisy, who has blue eyes....lemme see if I can find a pic....And she's super high energy. She's the one I'm most worried about when Nigel moves into his outdoor pen.

This was her this winter: and yes, her face looks like that alot! :D
megsjan21035.jpg

Here's another, this was her like a week and a half ago.
enclosure021.jpg

She's a good dog, smart, but she likes to jump, and LICK like nobody's business. Also, Terriers are vermin dogs, so little things that move and make scratching noises and smell good are what they "hunt". You'd have to really watch a dog like that, so it didn't get Tallulah.

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
You know I had planned on staying in Hawaii for a month at one time, well this was before the torts and I just had the cat. I was told in order to ship a cat or dog over to the islands they would have to be quarantined for six months. Forget that.

sendie

10 Year Member!
Lake Jackson, TX
richalisoviejo said:
You know I had planned on staying in Hawaii for a month at one time, well this was before the torts and I just had the cat. I was told in order to ship a cat or dog over to the islands they would have to be quarantined for six months. Forget that.

There is a way to bypass the quarantine, but it takes a lot of planning and time to do it. When we thought I might be joining my husband over there for 8 months I had started the process with our vet, but when he got transferred to Las Vegas that ended that. Darn it :p

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Pure breds all have rescues as well. look into them. Be careful where or who you buy from. Most pet shops buy puppy mill puppies and they arent always the healthiest dogs. genetically or otherwise.
Or just wait till you are settled somewhere in a few years and get one then.. moving around is not always easy on a dog.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the info and advice guys :) Really appreciate it!! Hahaha Meg that Boston Terrier looks hilarious, like kinda schizo (No offense to anyone - only way I could describe it!) We will definitely take our time in choosing a doggy, no rush at all :) Thanks Laura, I will definitely be careful. I will not buy a puppy unless I know its healthy.
Wherever we move to, which is more than likely back home, that will be it. We will be here for another 2 years or so, maybe 3, so we'll see. I've just been researching everything well, so I am prepared :p

Status
Not open for further replies.