Finished my enclosure today version 2.0

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Using existing melamine for the wood.. I used the spray in truck bed liner to coat the interior as a moisture barrier. Will see how well it holds up.

Attachments

• P1010244.JPG
    P1010244.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 255
  • P1010243.JPG
    P1010243.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 248
  • P1010241.JPG
    P1010241.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 225

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a pretty nice enclosure. I'll bet he outgrows it in a year! One thing that struck me was the window. It gets pretty cold by a window. You might think about maybe a piece of plywood over the bottom portion of the window behind the habitat.

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
Good point.. I will watch it.. The 3/4 inch wood seems to be a pretty good insulator I haven't had a problem maintaining 83-85 degrees ambient temp in the previous one. The tortoise in there now is growing crazy fast.. I only need it to be big enough till spring.. Then I will build a permanent outdoor enclosure for her. I have a hatch ling that will take over this setup.

Yvonne G said:
That's a pretty nice enclosure. I'll bet he outgrows it in a year! One thing that struck me was the window. It gets pretty cold by a window. You might think about maybe a piece of plywood over the bottom portion of the window behind the habitat.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's the nice part of our addiction...when one tortoise outgrows the habitat, you can always get a smaller one to take its place!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Nice enclosure :)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
That is a very nice enclosure. When he gets larger and goes outside everyday you can bring him inside to this enclosure at night where he will be safe and comfy.

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
Hey nice enclosure!! Question about the light/CHE bulb sockets. Did you use any kind of heat resistant fixtures?

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
I used Porcelain fixtures they get hot.. The light bulb on the right side is a LED builb just for light not heat. The wood on the top side gets warm but not extremely hot above the CHE. I also insulated the wiring with electrical tape.. I thought about putting layer of foil between the fixture and wood to draw heat off the wood.. But it not really getting warm enough for me to be in a rush. I have a porcelain extender on order to drop the CHE another 2 inches down as well.

TortoiseRN said:
Hey nice enclosure!! Question about the light/CHE bulb sockets. Did you use any kind of heat resistant fixtures?

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
I like it. It's very clean looking. How do they do with high humidity? I'm about to build a new 4x2 enclosure for a couple of young Sri Lankan Stars and I'm keeping the humidity between80-85%.

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
Ive had no problem keeping 80%. I used some foam weather striping around the door to help hold in the moisture and heat.

TortoiseRN said:
I like it. It's very clean looking. How do they do with high humidity? I'm about to build a new 4x2 enclosure for a couple of young Sri Lankan Stars and I'm keeping the humidity between80-85%.

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
Does the LED put out UV

Oh I just noticed you've got a strip on the back wall

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
Right, only the fluorescent on the back wall puts out UV. LED is strictly for light and low energy. I dont keep the uv on all the time only when they cant go out side cause of temps.
I also have a heat mat attached to a ceramic tile inside the hidey hole. Then i have it plugged into a lamp dimmer switch so its not at full power. To make sure the tile does not get to hot. The only area that gets really hot (95F to 100F) is under the CHE rest of the cage is about 82. The CHE cycles with a thermastat so its not on 24/7.

TortoiseRN said:
Does the LED put out UV

Oh I just noticed you've got a strip on the back wall

taza

5 Year Member
Cambridge, Ontario.Canada
Just wondering how the porcelain sockets are working out for you with che I was thinking of trying them in a new enclosure build.

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
Just wondering how the porcelain sockets are working out for you with che I was thinking of trying them in a new enclosure build.

I have not had any issues.. Its been working great.. I did buy a porcelain extender to drop the CHE about 2 more inches from the top.. Overall no issues though.