Melamine viv possible warping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lingy21

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1380227871.700036.jpg

Hi,

Iv recently set up a melamine vivarium and sealed all the edges and even laid pond liner in the bottom to water proof it further, baring in mind this has only been running for the past week and is on average 80% - 90% humidity.

However today I have noticed that In ye corner of the viv under the runner the wood has started to bubble. So my question is, is this the start of my viv warping? And does anyone know on average how long high humidity vivs last? Don't fancy having to buy a new one so soon haha.

Cheers everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Yeah, that is water damage. The underlying substance is 'particle board' with interior glue. There is 'exterior glue' type particle board, but that will only mean the glue won't decompose from water, the wood particles will still expand and change shape, causing deformation. One tiny pin hole in the sealing process is all it takes.

Particle board and moisture do not mix, that's why I don't like it, I get everything wet. The glue also emits formaldehyde. It was supposed to be resolved, as it can make you sick, but it smells the same to me.

I've not expressed a POV on different building materials, other to to say, "yeah that's OK" for plywood, which I assumed was exterior grade in the first place.

Will

Lingy21

5 Year Member
Ah I thought so, thanks for the reply. How long do you reckon it will last for do you think? Or would it be best to maybe start looking at another viv and getting It fully sealed with varnish and aquarium sealant?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would find where the water is coming from and fix it . It will last forever if you stop the leakage .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks to me as if the condensation from the glass/plastic is running down the aluminum track and soaking in right there in the corner. It should be fairly easy to find it and fix it. Maybe an overkill of silicone sealer?

Lingy21

5 Year Member
Ah ok well it seems to me like it's coming from the corner under the runner as there is a tiny bit located a bit further along the viv directly under the glass. I may have a go at re sealing it now. Thanks for the help, fingers crossed this works.

Haha you beat me to it! Do you have any idea how to prevent the condensation having a real problem with this especially on the cooler side, iv already got 5 circular vents so is there anything else I can do apart from add more?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, that's exactly what you want in a closed chamber...it IS a closed chamber, right? You can't get away from condensation when you have warm moist air on the inside and cooler air on the room side.

Lingy21

5 Year Member
It has vents in the back which already came with the viv so I didn't have a choice with that but apart from that it's closed and has on average 80% humidity during the day. So is there nothing I can do about the condensation?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Melamine viv possible warping?

Lingy21 said:
It has vents in the back which already came with the viv so I didn't have a choice with that but apart from that it's closed and has on average 80% humidity during the day. So is there nothing I can do about the condensation?

You can get a heat cable and run it on the outside of the glass. This will even out the outer and inner temp of the glass and stop the condensation. You could also try running it on the inside of glass, it will evaporate the condensation. If its a sliding door you may need to run half of the heat cable on the outside on the outer glass and inside on the inner glass so the doors slide freely, plus slack to open and close the glass doors. Not esthetically pleasing but functional.

Another idea I am experimenting with is drilling small holes about an inch apart at the top of the enclosure right next to the edge of glass, angled toward the glass. Installing a guide strip inside to direct the outside air directly onto the glass. There needs to be an exhaust hole at the warmest and highest point of the enclosure for the positive circulation to take effect. The cooler air from outside will be sucked in, clearing condensation from top down, anything from few inches to full length. For night time, a blocking strip guide can be installed over the inlet holes to stop this effect. This will also simulate moderate day time and very high night time humidity just as in nature. The fresh airflow circulation is mild and will impact the inside humidity marginally, needing for only some additional spraying, if at all. But hey, you will see inside clearly all the time, no more annoying condensation. :)

I will make a tread about this with pictures once I find the parameters for ideal results.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Status
Not open for further replies.