Finally laid her eggs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
My big female Burmese Brown finally stopped messing with her nest and laid some eggs. Only 10 so far, but not bad for her first time laying. I got some great video and photos of her. I will post them later on.

Im pretty excited for her.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Shes been in my collection for 10 years was a little over 15" when I got her. Shes more than likely getting up their in age. Cant wait for them to hatch. Its so cool working with this species its much more unusual then other torts just digging and laying. really hard to get the eggs too. As well as they are soft shelled and not hard so you have to be extra careful not to dent them.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hoping for a good fertility rate. We will see how well the male did in a few months.

conservation

10 Year Member!
Why do I suddenly want to raise up a group of Burmese Browns? It is an addiction :)

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Pets101 said:
Why do I suddenly want to raise up a group of Burmese Browns? It is an addiction :)

Ha ha what kind of torts would you not want to raise? Its quite the addiction. :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
They are a once a year layer. august-september is when mine drops and that is all. One clutch and its over for the year. But obviously HUGE clutches. I think the record is like 72 eggs at once. Its not like my reds,yellows, or anything else that lays good clutches. This took all day. She started diggin up her nest around 8:30 was about 18-20" deep laid 10 eggs, covered them up, then moved a little to the right laid 8 eggs covered them up, and kept adding to the pile of nesting material. Each session of egg placement took about 2 hours. About 2-8 minutes in between each egg. Its very difficult grabing these because not only are they soft, shes right over them "placeing them perfectly. I almost wanted to leave some in the nest to see if that would work, but come november it starts getting pretty cool at night so I decided to put all them in 2 incubators. So keep a look out for some baby mountains posted around christmas. They will be nice and well started by then.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thanks. Me too. The male is a proven breeder, and he proves it to me daily. Ha. I will candle them in a week or so and see where they stand.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
tortadise said:
They are a once a year layer. august-september is when mine drops and that is all. One clutch and its over for the year. But obviously HUGE clutches. I think the record is like 72 eggs at once. Its not like my reds,yellows, or anything else that lays good clutches. This took all day. She started diggin up her nest around 8:30 was about 18-20" deep laid 10 eggs, covered them up, then moved a little to the right laid 8 eggs covered them up, and kept adding to the pile of nesting material. Each session of egg placement took about 2 hours. About 2-8 minutes in between each egg. Its very difficult grabing these because not only are they soft, shes right over them "placeing them perfectly. I almost wanted to leave some in the nest to see if that would work, but come november it starts getting pretty cool at night so I decided to put all them in 2 incubators. So keep a look out for some baby mountains posted around christmas. They will be nice and well started by then.

Thanks for the info, Its amazing how the different species vary as far as egg laying goes. I hope you get some little torts out of that clutch

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Congrats! That is most excellent. I look forward to hearing about their progress.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
She was trying to hold off laying until she was in her new home, but somebody seems to think he needs to sleep sometimes. :cool: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.