Finally laid her eggs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
:D ha yeah. She is still gaurding the nest and added quite the leaves and branches to it. I do need some sleep.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
tortadise said:
They are a once a year layer. august-september is when mine drops and that is all. One clutch and its over for the year. But obviously HUGE clutches. I think the record is like 72 eggs at once. Its not like my reds,yellows, or anything else that lays good clutches. This took all day. She started diggin up her nest around 8:30 was about 18-20" deep laid 10 eggs, covered them up, then moved a little to the right laid 8 eggs covered them up, and kept adding to the pile of nesting material. Each session of egg placement took about 2 hours. About 2-8 minutes in between each egg. Its very difficult grabing these because not only are they soft, shes right over them "placeing them perfectly. I almost wanted to leave some in the nest to see if that would work, but come november it starts getting pretty cool at night so I decided to put all them in 2 incubators. So keep a look out for some baby mountains posted around christmas. They will be nice and well started by then.

CONGRATULATIONSSSSS Kelly!!!! Are you planning on selling them??? if so, will you consider shipping them???

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
TheTortoiseWhisperer said:
tortadise said:
They are a once a year layer. august-september is when mine drops and that is all. One clutch and its over for the year. But obviously HUGE clutches. I think the record is like 72 eggs at once. Its not like my reds,yellows, or anything else that lays good clutches. This took all day. She started diggin up her nest around 8:30 was about 18-20" deep laid 10 eggs, covered them up, then moved a little to the right laid 8 eggs covered them up, and kept adding to the pile of nesting material. Each session of egg placement took about 2 hours. About 2-8 minutes in between each egg. Its very difficult grabing these because not only are they soft, shes right over them "placeing them perfectly. I almost wanted to leave some in the nest to see if that would work, but come november it starts getting pretty cool at night so I decided to put all them in 2 incubators. So keep a look out for some baby mountains posted around christmas. They will be nice and well started by then.

Thank you. This one of the species that I call a provisionary sellable animal. Seeing thag they are engangered in the homeland and pose difficulties for people to produce theu will be sold (some of the babies) to the right owners, willing to contribute to studbook s and future conservation efforts with this species.

Of course shipping is done.

CONGRATULATIONSSSSS Kelly!!!! Are you planning on selling them??? if so, will you consider shipping them???

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
She is still making sure the "eggs" in the nest are covered. All day she keeps adding to it. The nest is now TWICE the size before she laid them. Im going to have to add another layer of stone to the hide. The nest is almost 28" tall now.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Candeling last night shows some development in about 70% of the eggs. Still a bit early to really know. But time will tell when or if they start pippin in another 60 days or so.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
safari_lass1 said:
This is awesome!! Congrats :))

Thank yah. So far so good. Some are showing no developement but lots are. Almost half way through. Maybe thanksgiving time they will hatch.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
How wonderful, congratulations Kelly! Looking forward to your posts on the egg laying and the hatching of the eggs!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well she laid them 9-9 so the eggs are at 42 days right now and about 40% look good little mountains inside so another 3 weeks or so and hopefully they will start a hatchin out. Its almost there. :D

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
tortadise said:
Well she laid them 9-9 so the eggs are at 42 days right now and about 40% look good little mountains inside so another 3 weeks or so and hopefully they will start a hatchin out. Its almost there. :D

This is really wonderful, I keep looking for postings here to see there is any "egg" action going on. Sending thoughts of fertile eggs!
:tort:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thanks. I do see little torts in the eggs when candled, but I dont like candling too much. Its been wonderful working with this species and seeing some reproduction success. Fingers crossed a good amount hatch.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Not yet. But we are very close to the hatch day grace pwriod. I look at them all the time. I hooope nothing went wrong. Should be soon if they are going to hatch.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well 86 days later the first one has been welcomed into the world. We are super excited here. 2 more eggs are wiggling and moving just this one has decided to poke his head out.

DSC01394.jpg

DSC01391.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How awesome!! Congrats! Glad you were home to see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.