female tortoise egg bound

sarah1980

Hi all,
I hope someone on here maybe able to help my family and I have had our hermanns tortoise for over 70 years she is appox 90-100 years so not a spring chicken.
In the last two weeks she laid six eggs non fertalised as she hasnt got a mate, as shes not in her prime we took her to the vets to ensure she didnt have any more, they xrayed her and found she has one remaining. I have read up and understand that they can hold them if the conditions are not not right for them to lay, my parents backgarden is prodominatly lawn and pebbles, she has tried to dig down in the pebbles but the nest keeps collapsing so i wondered if anyone could give me an idea of how too make an artificial nest.. would a cat litter tray suffice if we put in earth any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance x

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sarah, and welcome to the Forum!

If she was able to deposit the first six eggs, then she shouldn't have any trouble with the last one. It just might be that it wasn't ready to be laid yet.

I doubt a litter pan would be deep enough. She needs to be able to dig down with her back legs until her body position is damn near vertical. So measure her extended back leg and add another 7 or so inches to it and that's how deep it needs to be. But they usually don't pick the spot YOU choose. They always go with their own chosen spot.

sarah1980

Hi Yvonne

Thanks for the reply i will measure her legs tommrrow shes about 12/13 inch long and about 9" width so shes not small!!
Weve spoken to the vet this eve as shes stopped eating over the last two days they have done another xray and although the egg is intact its not a good shape, they are talking about giving her calcium injections tommrrow to help her pass it do u know anything about these and is there anything we can do to help her lay.

many thanks for your help
sarah

Hi Sarah, and welcome to the Forum!

If she was able to deposit the first six eggs, then she shouldn't have any trouble with the last one. It just might be that it wasn't ready to be laid yet.

I doubt a litter pan would be deep enough. She needs to be able to dig down with her back legs until her body position is damn near vertical. So measure her extended back leg and add another 7 or so inches to it and that's how deep it needs to be. But they usually don't pick the spot YOU choose. They always go with their own chosen spot.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sarah:

They first give an injection of Oxytocin, then the calcium. But the oxy doesn't work in all species of tortoise. Just make sure the tortoise is kept a little warmer than usual. Sitting under a hot light and covered to keep the heat in sometimes helps the egg to pass. Also, soaking in warm water sometimes makes the egg pass.

sarah1980

Yvonne
Thanks so much we will try that first thing, also ive read it your birthday so

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Thanks for your help xx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're welcome, I hope it helps (and thanks for the BD wish).

sarah1980

Thank u heardofturtles, im sure i have a photo of her on my phone just need to figure out how to upload it... watch this space :)

sarah1980

Isnt she just!! Although its not a true reflection of her size she actually looks fairly small in these photos and for her breed shes def not that lol

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A gorgeous tort. GOD bless.

And a very warm welcome to the forum!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Oh my, she is even more beautiful when wet! Her shell has a gorgeous translucence, like fine, antique china.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Oh my. She's a beauty.
Happy birthday Yvonne. I can not repay you with a sing song, because I don't have the knowledge to load a motion picture. So a bunch of flowers sent electronically is the best I can do. Happy birthday and all the best to you.
birthday_flowers.gif