Is she egg bound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
One of my female Easterns has been digging test nests all week. Last night she dug a nest and stayed there so I assumed she was going to finally lay her eggs. This morning she is still sitting in the hole - not digging - just sitting there. Could she be egg bound? If so, what can I do about it. It is Sunday and no decent reptile vet is in today so I really have no where to take her. What are the symptoms of a female who is egg bound? (Other than right now, she has been active and eating with no issues.)

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
The symptoms are supposed to be the turtle sitting there with her back legs sticking straight out, but I've never seen it.

My largest female got egg-bound the first two years I had her, and needed treatment to help her lay. When she did, large and calcified eggs came out. Now she lays fine.

Steve

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
First off id give her a nice soak in warm water, this somtimes helps, and somtimes stimulates them to again strain to push. If she has been digging all week and it does not look as though she wil pass them on her own, a vet Xray her to see the posistion of the egg then will give her a shot (the name eludes me) but it helps relax certain mussles and stimulates (contractions?) for her to lay. These however wont be dug in a nest and usually will be laid on the surface.

I hope she lays them soon, its never good when one strains time and time again.

My Starla had dug a few holes then one day dug what seemed like the final nest stayed there for hours, then filled it in and left. I checked and there was nothing. I then took her in for some R&R at the day spa in my sink and i could actually watch her strain in the sink trying to get that egg out!, well she still couldnt but did later that night in the water bowl, where she proceded to use it as a step stool on the way out :( i have little hope itll make it but hope just the same.

Hope shes feels better soon :(

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Hello! So I want to know the outcome of your turtle's reluctant nesting. My Sophia has laid plenty of eggs over 24 years. She's nesting now but just won't lay! Super worried. Thinking vet tomorrow.
Thanks! Thea

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Isn't it called Oxycontin or something along those lines? Any how, what happened? Did she finally lay?

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
3 toed boxie won't lay.

She still hasn't laid. She is extremely busy, marching around all over her enclosure (outdoors 100sq feet). She has an odd head twitch. I can still feel the egg. She's between 40 and 60 years old. We have a vet appt for 4:30 pm but I'm concerned that it's premature and I don't want to take drastic measures unless she is in imminent peril.

Status
Not open for further replies.