egg bound???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenp

5 Year Member
My female, who is roughly 5 years old, apears to have laid a broken egg without shell this evening (although not like the whole, yeallow one in video on here- clear, sticky with tiny bits of shell). I will obviously take her to the vet first thing in the morning (it's late here in the UK).

She has previously laid surfaces clutches usually consisting of 4 eggs. However, the last time it was only 3. I'm seriously worried that she is egg bound. Although, now the egg is broken does that mean she will be able to pass it? Or is the damage already done - will she die? Just watched a You Tube on what they do to help egg bound tortioses...its awful!! Also just read about an injection they can give them...Im hoping that will sort her out!!

I have given her a bath and put her back to bed- vets in the morn- hope she will be ok- I will be heart broken if not!

Jenp

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
What kind of tortoise are we talking about?

How long ago was the four egg clutch and the three egg one?

jenp

5 Year Member
Hermann tortoise!

The three egg clutch a couple of weeks ago and the 4 about 6 months ago. And the time before that about 9 months ago. This is her third time and it seems to be roughly every three months. What you thinking?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
She also has been eating and acting normal?

All eggs have been laid on the substrate surface correct? Is she in with a male or are these most likely not fertile?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So sounds like you can notch down your level of worry a bit at this point. Since she is laying on top of the substrate, does she even try to make a nest? Is her habitat set up for nesting? After she laid this broken egg, did she try to lay more or seem "uncomfortable"?

jenp

5 Year Member
Yes all on surface (surface is deep enough for her to nest though but she hasnt) and yes in with a male. Take her out?

jenp

5 Year Member
She hasnt tried to nest at any point although she has plently of substate (not too soft/not too hard) to nest but hasnt attempted to. She is just very still.

Nope no further eggs...and not tried to nest at any time although has enough substrate to (not too soft/not too hard). She is just very still.

Status
Not open for further replies.