Female Sulcata..$...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I've been on line looking for a female sulcata.. One with a less aggressive personality than the one I have now... And the prices seem ridiculously high compared to males...Is this the norm?.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I have constantly seen females for all the species going for a lot higher than there males counterparts...

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I can see a bit of a difference but we are talking almost double the price compared to a male...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Females are more vaulable in the eyes of most sellers especially if they are in that breeding age...

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
There is just something that I find amusing about that statement Dmarcus! Haha! I think that I take things just a tad too literal! Haha! :p;)

Okay on a more serious note... I think it's like that no matter what animal you are looking to purchase. My female Dachshunds were $800 each and poor old Jeter was $500.

dalano73 said:
Females are more vaulable in the eyes of most sellers especially if they are in that breeding age...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Thats true, females are just expensive.... Hope I don't get into trouble with that statement...:p:p:p

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
You are SO right... on both counts!!! :D

dalano73 said:
Thats true, females are just expensive.... Hope I don't get into trouble with that statement...:p:p:p

B

byerssusan

When I bought Phoneix the man told me the hatchlings were all female..because of the way he incubated the eggs. I've heard this here and there so don't know if that's really true or not..but anyway he sold his for 40 bucks each. Now if he said they were male I don't know if his price would have been cheaper or not. I thought that was a great price either way..male or female. But yeah I would think a female would be more exspensive..hey they are what make the world go round! LOL..No really if you have a feamle at breeding age I could see why they would want more. Just my 2 cents

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
For hatchlings the price is the same because you don't know for sure if its a male or female. Its once they are older and you know for sure that its a male or female is when you will see the price differences...

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thats nice to know, i seem to have 2 females, not that I would be selling them any time soon

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
as for hatchlings being female, they can temperature incubate them to be a higher percentage of females but it is no guarantee, just a better chance of getting a female, and females always go for more money than males, often times double is not unheard of, but for sulcatas, I personally don't know anyone who is selling large adults.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is pretty rare to see an adult female for sale. I see sub-adult females and small adult females for sale at reptile shows for $1500 pretty regularly.

Good luck finding one.

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
The breeder that I bought my 10" sulcata from has female's different sizes and prices but yeah they are much higher priced then the males. Send me an IM if you want to know and I will send you his e-mail. He is a great guy to work with too. Because not sure if you can give other site's links in here. So just to be on the safe side.

Status
Not open for further replies.