Sulcata Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I am wanting to adopt a Sulcata, but I can't seem to find one locally or anyone who ships. I found a 3 year old that would be perfect.

I'm just not sure on prices. I've seen 1-4 month olds from $45 to $75 each, and I've seen some yearlings at about the same price range.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
goReptiles said:
I am wanting to adopt a Sulcata, but I can't seem to find one locally or anyone who ships. I found a 3 year old that would be perfect.

I'm just not sure on prices. I've seen 1-4 month olds from $45 to $75 each, and I've seen some yearlings at about the same price range.

Where are you located (city, state)?

Are you really adopting or buying?

There is no set price (free - $1000s). It's whatever the seller asks and whatever the buyer is willing to pay.

I have run into the same problem where the seller is not willing to ship. There are plenty of Sulcatas waiting for better homes. Be patient and ready, you will find the one for you. :D

Did you have an actual question you wanted answered?:p

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
usually theres alot out for adoption. ive had 2 people give me theres due to the fact they had no room or it got too big. try looking at pet shelters online possibly or id go to kingsnake.com. id reccomend adoption first

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I haven't been able to find any to adopt in Southern California for the last ten years. I've seen lots for sale. In the pet stores around here, hatchlings typically sell for around $100. I've seen them at the reptile shows for as low as $60.

BTW, Please tell us all that you've done your research, and you know they they eat like a horse, poop like a horse, and need to live outside like a horse (but with a giant heated den-box of some sort). I urge you to reconsider your choice of species, if you live somewhere with frozen winters or somewhere with out some large outdoor yard space.

Look here and here, if you have done your research and you know what you are getting into. They both ship.
http://ivorytortoise.com/
http://www.bluebeastreptile.com/

http://africantortoise.com/ This site has great info, if you need to do more research, BEFORE you buy one.

I love sullies. They are my favorite tort. But they are a HANDFUL (actually, two big handfuls) when they get bigger. They're just not the right tort for everybody.

M

Maggie Cummings

There are a lot of us raising Sulcata where there are frozen winters. It can be done if you set him up correctly. My Sulcata is in a large heated/insulated shed and he has the option to come out everyday and he does rain freeze or snow. So if you set him up properly you can have a Sulcata in a part of the country where there are frozen winters, so don't let that stop you.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
yeah, i live in ny and its in the teen's for temperatures and my sulcatas are doing fine and there outside. just as long you have the room for them, you should be fine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you're anyplace near Southern California, you can contact any of the chapters of the California Turtle & Tortoise Club. They almost always are looking for homes for rescued sulcatas.

http://www.tortoise.org/cttc/adoption.html

Click on the different years and you can see how many Sulcatas came in and were adopted out each year.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I was wanting to adopt, as mentioned, but because I can't find a rescue the is willing to ship, I was going to look for a breeder that a sulcata that was a few years old. I found a nice turtle rescue on petfinder, but most of the rescues do not ship, one that does (or at least didn't say they didn't ship) was charging near amount a breeder would charge (I'm sure it's due to wanting to make sure that the tort got a serious owner).

I'm not new to reptiles. I fully research my reptiles before I buy. I'm not an ignorant pet owner. When I get a pet, I intend to do everything I can to make it that animal's best and only home from that point on.

I am in Georgia; this is the first year we've really see freezing weather.

By the way, kbaker, I was not asking for a specific dollar amount from a breeder's tortoise. I was looking for an average. Like I said I know the average for hatchlings and yearlings. I was looking for the average for a 3 year old, to see if it was any different. And I asked a question, you didn't have to be rude.

Thank you for those who are trying to help.

Just because I asked on prices now, does not mean that I'm going to go out tomorrow and buy or adopt one. I still need to do plenty more research, but I've been reading for months now. I know I'm not ready yet, I just wanted to get an average price. I still have no 100% decided on getting a sulcata, but it doesn't hurt to ask questions and do research. And, I don't feel that I should have received any rudeness.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
goReptiles said:
I was wanting to adopt, as mentioned, but because I can't find a rescue the is willing to ship, I was going to look for a breeder that a sulcata that was a few years old. I found a nice turtle rescue on petfinder, but most of the rescues do not ship, one that does (or at least didn't say they didn't ship) was charging near amount a breeder would charge (I'm sure it's due to wanting to make sure that the tort got a serious owner).

I'm not new to reptiles. I fully research my reptiles before I buy. I'm not an ignorant pet owner. When I get a pet, I intend to do everything I can to make it that animal's best and only home from that point on.

I am in Georgia; this is the first year we've really see freezing weather.

By the way, kbaker, I was not asking for a specific dollar amount from a breeder's tortoise. I was looking for an average. Like I said I know the average for hatchlings and yearlings. I was looking for the average for a 3 year old, to see if it was any different. And I asked a question, you didn't have to be rude.

Thank you for those who are trying to help.

Just because I asked on prices now, does not mean that I'm going to go out tomorrow and buy or adopt one. I still need to do plenty more research, but I've been reading for months now. I know I'm not ready yet, I just wanted to get an average price. I still have no 100% decided on getting a sulcata, but it doesn't hurt to ask questions and do research. And, I don't feel that I should have received any rudeness.

No rudeness intended.
"Thank you for those who are trying to help." Your welcome.

I was not giving you ranges. I was making a point that there is not a set price whether 3 yrs old or not.
And no, you did not ask a question in your post.

If you really want a Sulcata and you are in Georgia, talk to -EJ on this forum.

One last 'rude' comment - if you can't handle the 'mild' posts on this forum, you are not ready to have a Sulcata.:p

Good Luck!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi GoReptiles:

One thing for you to remember: When someone writes his thoughts in a post it often times sounds much harsher or brusque than if he were saying the same thing out loud.

After I read your last post, I went back and re-read Kbaker's post, and it didn't sound at all rude to me. What he said is very true. There is no set price for any turtle or tortoise. I've seen three year old sulcatas going for $500 and then again same size for $100. It depends upon the seller and if he thinks he can make a buck or not.

If you contact Julie at Turtle Rescue of Long Island, http://turtlerescues.com/
I'm sure she would be happy to talk to you about adopting a sulcata. She gets them in all the time and places them in southern homes. She's looking for good homes like yours. And she DOES ship!!

Good luck in your search.

Status
Not open for further replies.