Female Sulcata's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Hi everyone I was wondering if female sulcata's are like male sulcatas. Are they aggressive with other animals? Do they get along with other female sulcatas? Also if I have a male and a female sulcata will the boy be rough with the female. If Chevy turns out to be a Porsche I would love to get her a feminine companion!

jagsrule100

10 Year Member!
Florida
I was thinking about getting another sulcata for Buster to have a buddy but when i read that Sulcata's don't really need another tortoise in their life and they get a little rough and they could possibly flip over, i passed on it.

I don't really know if they are agressive with other tortoises but if you got the room then go for it :).

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
The personality of adults are quite different. Females do well in large groups and with new additions. They seem to hide more throughout the day than males. Males take alot of time to adjust to new additions and become an extreme pain in the butt when they are sexually frustrated. If you try to separate a male from females after he has seen them that is usually when all the aggression shows.
We keep multiple males in our herd and over time they have established a hierarchy. No one messes with Perseus. The smaller guys know not to look for trouble. They seem to sneak in their time with the females.

In juveniles, my experience has been the males are the ones that climb to the top of an obstacle and jump off or act very outgoing. The females stay out of the spotlight and do not seek attention. The girls seem to take longer to form a bond with their owners (food bringers).Once they quit being shy they are very gentle and sweet creatures.

Of course they all have their own personalities and there are exceptions to every rule.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i have issues with my males bugging each other. I have no females on or near the property. The two big guys grew up with each other, there is respect, one is definately dominant.. the two smaller ones.. i have to watch them too.. i really dont want four seperate pens,, might come to that.. when i first found sulcatas and learned about them, i was so excited.. i wanted them.. ten heard about rescues being Full of them, and was told to build a pen and i would be full of them.. so i built and the rescue i was working with stopped adopting out.. that is when i found this forum.. learned A LOT! found out the rescue are full of MALES not females that all get a long. ( i really wanted a herd of peacful females...) so now i have 4 males. all rescues.. i built, they came, i built more.. they are not aggressive with me. I have heard horror stories about them hurting people and being VERY destructive.. I was also told i was CRAZY for wanting this species. i love them.

I would of still prefered a herd of females tho.. i have lots of room,, just prefer to not build build build..

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Males can be quite aggressive for sure, but its certainly a trait IMO. There is one at the sanctuary who will pretty much attack me on sight, I just pick him and look at him saying "really dude, are you serios", the kids get a chuckle out of it. I am not looking foward to when he is 150lb+.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
Maybe what every Sulcata owner needs is a XXL male named Perseus to tame the other males.

ROFL....ok, maybe not.
The only time I have ever been rammed on purpose is when I got between a rescue of ours, Michelangelo and his prickly pear fruit.

He took a chunk out of my ankle, I moved, he ate and we have lived happily ever after.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Az tortoise compound said:
Maybe what every Sulcata owner needs is a XXL male named Perseus to tame the other males.

OK! I'm convinced! I'll take Perseus to tame Aladar (the mellowist tort ever) and 4 rascally yearlings!:D

No excuses! I just want Perseus!;)

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
RV (female!) is delightfully calm natured compared to the stories I read of the boys. She'll be our only tort, doesn't seem to mind it at all.

teri

M

Maggie Cummings

DeanS said:
Az tortoise compound said:

OK! I'm convinced! I'll take Perseus to tame Aladar (the mellowist tort ever) and 4 rascally yearlings!:D

No excuses! I just want Perseus!;)

You used to want Bob...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.