Male vs female behavior

Hey everyone. Just seeking advise on which sex to get, female or male. I know every tort is different but is there a general difference in behavior ? Do males tend to be more aggressive, destructive etc or does it not matter. I think I’m leaning towards female since they tend to be a bit smaller. Just trying to make the right choice for me. Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've had both here at one time or another, and the female I had here was a bit on the pushy side, whereas my male is not pushy at all. I would have to say it probably depends upon the individual animal. I do know that if a male smells another tortoise, whether male or female, he'll be very aggressive trying to push down the fence to get to the other tortoise, where females don't seem to care about other tortoises.

I've had both here at one time or another, and the female I had here was a bit on the pushy side, whereas my male is not pushy at all. I would have to say it probably depends upon the individual animal. I do know that if a male smells another tortoise, whether male or female, he'll be very aggressive trying to push down the fence to get to the other tortoise, where females don't seem to care about other tortoises.

Thank you :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There are definitely individual personalities. I've never had a sulcata that was the least bit aggressive toward people. I've only had one female that was aggressive toward other sulcatas, and all the males I've had were aggressive toward other males.

As a single pet, there are some generalities. Males tend to be more bold and outgoing. More inquisitive. More friendly. Females tend to be less interested in what your are doing and leave you alone. Either one will follow you like a puppy if they think you might possibly have a food offering. My females will follow me sometimes, but the males tend to follow me more. When I'm in the pen cleaning the water tub or doing something, I can always count on tripping over a male. The females will come see what I'm doing and if there is any food involved, and if not, they usually move on.