Feeling pretty low

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
I went away last weekend and left my torts in my wife's care. Unfortunately she unplugged the uvb bulb and when she went to turn it back on it didn't turn on immediately (it was too hot). She assumed it was broken and thought nothing of it until the next morning. She then put my three babies into a small plastic bin and left them outside with no water or shade .

I came home and one baby was dead and the others have bloody spots under their scutes. I'm seeing the vet on Thursday.

I'm mad as can be at the situation, but not at her. She thought since my adults live outside, the baby's could, too. This just shows if you have someone caring for them, prepare for any and all situations and have a knowledgeable person to call if a problem arises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry to hear this. I suggest that everyone in the household have some knowledge of the animals care, then things like this can't happen. Your wife is very lucky. My husband would not be.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Good that you are not too med of your wife and I believe she learn this lesson too. I hope other two will make it back to full recover and full health.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's terrible, but I'm glad you weren't too hard on your wife. She probably feels pretty badly about it herself without you railing on her.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would imagine, if she is eve a halfway decent person, she is prob. being harder on herself, then you could ever be.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Oh no, that's so sad...... :(

M

Maggie Cummings

Oh man, I'm so sorry. I hope the other 2 make it...It's a very sad and hard situation...

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Well the vet thinks they will be ok! . One may loose a scute, but that looks to be the worst of it. Both are eating well and active and he said no antibiotics unless the bone under the shell gets exposed.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Well both injured torts are doing better. The blood under the scutes is fading and it doesn't look like they will loose any scutes.

Attachments

• 1403186021601.jpg
    1403186021601.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 30