Erika's escape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
I built a small, temporary outdoor enclosure for my 2 torts. I made it tall enough that Erika (the bigger one) couldn't get out. I have put them in it a dozen times and left them out while I'm at work. Well I came home and Erika was gone!

I looked in my yard and the neighbors yards to no avail. I printed up flyers and went door to door. As I slowly expanded the canvas area a guy came out and said he saw her while mowing his lawn. Thankfully Erika was munching on weeds in his backyard.

She had crossed two alleys and got under his chain link fence and was about 10 houses down.

I couldn't figure out how she got out but I think she decided to piggy back on Hermann and that gave her the height needed to escape.

Lesson learned...I need to make a secure top to the cage.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Someone had an urge to go wild.....lol....sooooo glad the mower guy laid eyes on here and she was located safe....tricky little buggers....:D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Glad this story had a happy ending, so often is not the case when folks are using temporary enclosures or turn their backs for "just a second". I have been there, done that. Glad your going to make a more secure enclosure for them.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
any chance she had 'help' getting out? child, dog, neighborhood kid, large bird. .....
taller side, capped corners and maybe a top!

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Yes, they do, but not that enthusiastically as Horsfields. I have a small Boettgeri male- a Greek native- that kept digging for weeks. Not much, but it finally resulted in a nice big exit hole. Well, I prepared him a big surprise- a large and heavy concrete piece on the other side :). I would want to see his face when he realised that the grayish thing cannot be scratched at all.
They usually dig while making themselves confortable hides in the dirt, but sometimes that happens near the enclosure walls and if not noticed, may lead to escape.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
I know that Box turtles dig like crazy but I had read the Hermann's didn't usually dig except to get out of the heat or to burrow for the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.