Help.. (Russian tortoise stopped eating)

RachLannen

I think my tort is not feeling good. I got him about 2 wks ago from a lady who couldn't care for him anymore. I took him without knowing anything about him. She told me what she was feeding him, lettuce, green peppers, carrots. He hasn't eatin in days now. When I was looking up what he should eat, and should not eat looks like none of those he should be having daily. I'm not sure what to do for him. I'm looking into what I should be giving him to eat. I'm kinda overwhelmed by it. I want to get him what he needs. I'm not sure where to start. Do I change his food, because that's what's making him not eat. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Rachel

Last edited:

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
1.) What species of tortoise.

2.) Can we see a pic of the tortoise and the enclosure.

3.) Sudden change can sometimes cause the loss of appetite, but we cant be sure until the first 2 steps are complete.

Good luck!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
thats a russian tortoise. He will take a few days to settle in so he may not eat for a few days. His diet will need changed to broad based weeds and leaves. This will take time too. Torts are creatures of habit so it will be hard to get him to eat the new better for him foods but its what's best for him. Try mixing small amounts of new foods cut real small with the old foods. Then slowly increase good food and decrease bad. There is a really good care sheet in the russian section. Read it and you will be fine

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That is a Russian tortoise . Go to the Russian tortoise threads and read up .

RachLannen

N
thats a russian tortoise. He will take a few days to settle in so he may not eat for a few days. His diet will need changed to broad based weeds and leaves. This will take time too. Torts are creatures of habit so it will be hard to get him to eat the new better for him foods but its what's best for him. Try mixing small amounts of new foods cut real small with the old foods. Then slowly increase good food and decrease bad. There is a really good care sheet in the russian section. Read it and you will be fine
He was eating fine before tho. That's why I got worried. He hardly goes potty. Unless I put him in warm water. But I did that earlier and he had like snoty stuff that came out. I have been reading some of the info. Has helped a lot. Just worried.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
What are your temps? By snotty stuff, do you mean white paste like substance or something else. They take time to adjust to new environment, but need correct heat to eat as well.
The care guides in the Russian section will provide great info to get you started.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Try covering all the areas of the top where the screen is (besides the light) with aluminum foil to increase humidity and trap heat until you can get a CHE.

RachLannen

What are your temps? By snotty stuff, do you mean white paste like substance or something else. They take time to adjust to new environment, but need correct heat to eat as well.
The care guides in the Russian section will provide great info to get you started.
Temp right now is 80' and humidity is 40 % And yes like snotty , not paste more like white snot. Sorry don't really know how to explain it any other way. Thanks for the info.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Its likely urates which most tortoises expel instead of urine. Most likely nothing to worry about, but if you can take him to the vet to get dewormed, it would be safe and precautionary. I would do the foil idea until you get a CHE.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
For my inside enclosure I use a Mercury Vapor Bulb that provides day heat and UVB. I position it so there is a hot spot under it around 100F. I have a CHE on a thermostat set at 70F. This prevents my enclosure from ever getting cold. In larger enclosures I use tube lights for UVB and a spot light for the asking area. Still use a CHE or 2 for ambient temp.
Urates are normal and ok as long as it is a toothpaste consistency.
I think if you let him settle in, heat him up and slowly change his diet he will be ok.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
The warmer they are, the more they eat. My Russian slowed down eating when he came indoors for the winter so I gave him what he liked and would eat - duh! - bad idea. Now all he wants is the vegetables, which I thought were okay. (I'm new at this, too) I tried planting seed blends, which were a personal disaster. I cultivated plants he can eat and he does not want them so I will plant them in his habitat hoping he will take a liking to them for next winter. Now, I am exercising tough love and insisting on greens. He is eating a little occasionally: dandelion, kale, primrose, the grass in his habitat and occasional bite of cucumber. I continue to offer the Spring Mix that he devoured last summer but right now, a lot is getting wasted - these little guys can be so stubborn. They can go for months on very little so not to worry so much. I gave him a carrot soak just to feel better. It will be a slow come back as the weather outside peaks at 85 right now but he is getting exercise that should help stimulate appetite.

My "Digger" is also in an aquarium in the winter so I let him out regular for exercise on the floor. Also soaked him every other day in the tub so he can move around and eliminate. I keep a clay bowl of water in the aquarium - thinking of going to stainless for easier cleaning. I also pour a cup or two of water into the substrate once or twice a week and stir it up to add moisture along with keeping a spray bottle near by for morning misting. This keeps his humidity up.
I am a fan of reproducing nature as much as possible so I don't strive to keep temps up at night; as long as they stay above 70.

I put pill bugs in his aquarium to help keep it clean - like snails in a fish aquarium. They multiplied! Since Digger is now outdoors, I will be cleaning the aquarium and making changes for the fall. Will get diatinatious earth (hope I spelled it right) at a farm store and change the water bowl. Probably will add/ and or change the plants. I had jade and cactus for him but he would not eat either. Will put in new pill bugs and a couple worms.

Hope something I wrote helps. The greatest thing in your favor is that you care. They are adorable creatures. Things happen with them very slowly but your guy looks pretty good. I think I see new growth in the ring around his shell. Digger has managed new growth in spite of all my mistakes. It's like being a parent and practicing on the first born. Stay tuned to this forum for lots of help and advice. Sometimes I just come in a read posts. (I feel too stupid to make many comments). * If you haven't already, pick him up regularly and talk to him (not too loud; they don't like it) and watch his reaction.
Digger 10.jpg

RachLannen

The warmer they are, the more they eat. My Russian slowed down eating when he came indoors for the winter so I gave him what he liked and would eat - duh! - bad idea. Now all he wants is the vegetables, which I thought were okay. (I'm new at this, too) I tried planting seed blends, which were a personal disaster. I cultivated plants he can eat and he does not want them so I will plant them in his habitat hoping he will take a liking to them for next winter. Now, I am exercising tough love and insisting on greens. He is eating a little occasionally: dandelion, kale, primrose, the grass in his habitat and occasional bite of cucumber. I continue to offer the Spring Mix that he devoured last summer but right now, a lot is getting wasted - these little guys can be so stubborn. They can go for months on very little so not to worry so much. I gave him a carrot soak just to feel better. It will be a slow come back as the weather outside peaks at 85 right now but he is getting exercise that should help stimulate appetite.

My "Digger" is also in an aquarium in the winter so I let him out regular for exercise on the floor. Also soaked him every other day in the tub so he can move around and eliminate. I keep a clay bowl of water in the aquarium - thinking of going to stainless for easier cleaning. I also pour a cup or two of water into the substrate once or twice a week and stir it up to add moisture along with keeping a spray bottle near by for morning misting. This keeps his humidity up.
I am a fan of reproducing nature as much as possible so I don't strive to keep temps up at night; as long as they stay above 70.

I put pill bugs in his aquarium to help keep it clean - like snails in a fish aquarium. They multiplied! Since Digger is now outdoors, I will be cleaning the aquarium and making changes for the fall. Will get diatinatious earth (hope I spelled it right) at a farm store and change the water bowl. Probably will add/ and or change the plants. I had jade and cactus for him but he would not eat either. Will put in new pill bugs and a couple worms.

Hope something I wrote helps. The greatest thing in your favor is that you care. They are adorable creatures. Things happen with them very slowly but your guy looks pretty good. I think I see new growth in the ring around his shell. Digger has managed new growth in spite of all my mistakes. It's like being a parent and practicing on the first born. Stay tuned to this forum for lots of help and advice. Sometimes I just come in a read posts. (I feel too stupid to make many comments). * If you haven't already, pick him up regularly and talk to him (not too loud; they don't like it) and watch his reaction.
View attachment 132468
What do you mean by new growth?

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
What do you mean by new growth?

I am assuming: The "line" between the border of his shell and the round center (Sorry, I don't know the names for these areas of the shell) is showing up a hair wider and brighter in color; also looks different in texture - like new skin after pealing. * See first picture posted at top of this thread. Digger is doing the same thing. It is spring and he is "scratching" his shell which can indicate new growth. Adding up all this, I am thinking this is where new growth of the shell occurs. :eek:

If I am wrong, I am happy to hear if this means anything at all. o_O

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
New growth will be in between the scutes of the shell. It will look like a tiny white line going in between all of the scutes on the carapace, plastron or both at the same time.