Fans of British comedies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Anyone remermber the name of a comedy from the mid-late 70s that had, as an incidental character, a Hermann's house-tort named (I think) "Basil"...the main characters (a young couple) had a neighbor originally from (I think) Spain who often referred to "Basil" as a hamster...

Does that ring any memory-bells?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Well... the British comedy, Fawlty Towers from the 1970's had and innkeeper called Basil, (John Cleese) and they had neighbors from Spain. But can't remember the tort (how is that possible)?
Could that be it?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Oh well, at least there was a Basil in it, but I sure didn't recall the tortoise...hope you figure it out!

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Is it One Foot In The Grave you're thinking of? I can't think of a comedy that fits all that, but One Foot In The Grave had a tortoise in the title and end credits, and Fawlty Towers had a character named Basil.

I can't think what it would otherwise be.

Edit: I'm guessing not, because that tortoise isn't a Hermann's and it doesn't have any story attached to it. It seems yours has a key role in the programme. Hm...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
cherylim said:
Is it One Foot In The Grave you're thinking of? I can't think of a comedy that fits all that, but One Foot In The Grave had a tortoise in the title and end credits, and Fawlty Towers had a character named Basil.

I can't think what it would otherwise be.

Edit: I'm guessing not, because that tortoise isn't a Hermann's and it doesn't have any story attached to it. It seems yours has a key role in the programme. Hm...

No, that's not it, either...turns out that the show was called "No, Honestly" and the female lead was Pauline Collins.

71GERXWVGZL.gif

And apparently, the tortoise wasn't in every episode (my bad...30-odd years of misremembering :rolleyes: )

Anyway, thanks to all who tried to jog my memery...the wife and daughter and I were talking about our favorite British comedies (PBS plays several on weekend nights) and this, along w/ "Good Neighbors", "The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin" "Red Dwarf", "Black Adder" and "The Vicar of Dilby" was one of mine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.