Eye problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
TerryO I could not find either of those in dog food, but I found the white fish in cat food. I tried squeezing her and might have seen a bubble near her eye but not sure and nothing form her nose.
She was awake when I got home. She is soaking now.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Angi said:
When ever I have a sinus problem I sqiurt water up my nose to flush it out. What do you think of a short dunk in water over her head? Has anyone tried this?
I wouldn't do this mainly because if it is an RI it is more than just a sinus problem.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Ok thanks D. She seems to be enjoying her soak. I am going to try to get her to eat the cat food when she gets out of the carrots. I gave my other boxie (no name yet) some of the cat food and he went crazy gobbling it up.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If I have a boxie that isn't eating or is under weight I usually feed canned dog food...whitefish or venison by Wellness before hibernation to fatten them up. I don't know if it 's the smell or what, but they all love it. Keep putting the ointment on her eyes, keep her warm and clean from soil, soak with the baby food....and offer her some food. I can't think of anything else.....hope all this helps. If no bubbles are coming out of her nose, she should be OK. My Ornate used to get the puffy eyes if I didn't take her in before the cold weather came. She couldn't hibernate outside.

M

Maggie Cummings

The only thing I would do differently than Terry is to put her back on clean cypress mulch and carrot soaks only once a day. But you do what you think is best between the 2 of us. I just think soaks twice a day makes the food rush thru the intestines too fast and the animal then doesn't get all the nourishment that they should from the food. That is just my opinion there is nothing I have that says I'm right. And I think clean cypress mulch makes them more comfortable then paper towels. My opinion that's all...:)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
maggie3fan said:
The only thing I would do differently than Terry is to put her back on clean cypress mulch and carrot soaks only once a day. But you do what you think is best between the 2 of us. I just think soaks twice a day makes the food rush thru the intestines too fast and the animal then doesn't get all the nourishment that they should from the food. That is just my opinion there is nothing I have that says I'm right. And I think clean cypress mulch makes them more comfortable then paper towels. My opinion that's all...:)

You are probably right Maggie...To be honest with you I've never had a sick Box Turtle, except for my Ornate's puffy eyes, and once when she had a RI. None of the rescue's that I had were sick. So I think you or Yvonne would know better than I would when it comes to this.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
She is still not eatting. I even put the cat food on her mouth. What is the treatment for an RI? She can see. When she was in the bath tub she would move her head to watch me. Also when I held her and she stuck her arms way out I noticed above them looked like balls under her skin. It is hard to explain, but I went out and looked at my large male baxie and he had a bit of a bulb under his arm but not over. He is much heavier than her though. She is looking pretty skinny. It is quite warm here, so I don't think it is the weather.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
RI treatment includes antibiotics

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I wonder if I should force some of the liquid chinese herbal concentrate that I drink down her throat. I take it to boost my immune system. I also give it to my dog. I try to stay away from antibiotics if I can.....but I am thinking that if she does not improve or eat by Monday I will have to take her to the Vet. Does anyone know anything about ThePet Hospital Of Penasquitos? Any other vet recomondations in San Diego. I have never taken a reptile to the vet.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I notice Trudy will not open her mouth. When I put her in front or food she looks like she is about to take a bite, but she doesn't. Could her mouth be stuck shut? I tried to open it but I can not get it open. Is there a wat to get a turtle to open it's mouth?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
At this point I would take her to a Vet for a check up. Does she drink when you put her in water for a soak?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I have a 3:30 appointment with Dr. Boyer. I will let everyone know what he says as soon as I get back. Today I tried feeding her red wigglers because I know she likes and recognizes them. She would not touch them :(. I have still not seen her open her mouth. I am really worried about her :( :(,

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Back from the vet and now I am even more worried about Trudy :( She does have an RI and the docter gave me nose drops, something to inject and something to put on her food. I believe they are all antibiotics. What I am so upset about is that the vet noticed she is puffy. He said he had never seen such a puffy box turtle. Keep in mind that she is very skinny from not eating, so there is something bad wrong with her in addition to the RI. He did blood work (that was expensive) and is going to run a full blood panel. He said it could be caused by a lot of things and there is no way to know what without doing the blood work. Some of the things he mentioned were Thyriod, lack of a vitamin or calcium, liver or kidney failure and the bad C word....cancer. I was so upset I don't remember everything he said it could be. And I don't think he really wanted to name everything but to wait for the blood work. He said to put her back out side tomorrow He laughed when I told him about the carrot baths.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Oh I'm so sorry to hear all this. Please keep us posted on Trudy's progress. I'm glad you took her to the Vet. He should only know how many turtles and tortoises have been helped with the "carrot bath".

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Yeah TerryO, but telling that to a medical doctor is a waste of time. I tried to explain why I thought it worked when he said it sounded like a witch doctor remedy or old wives tale, but he looked at me like I was crazy so I just shrugged my shoulders. I sure hope it is something easy to cure. He also said her shell looks too small for her body. I never thought about it until I got my second boxie but she is tiny.

If she has an RI does that mean he could catch it?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I would seperate them. My old Ornate once had a RI, and I had to give injections once a day for 7 days. The only time I had a sick boxie, and I hated doing it. It was a long time ago, but I remember that by the 4th day she was looking good and when she saw me coming with the needle she would run the other way. I'm sure your Trudy will be fine now.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I give her the injections every other day for 15 days. Do you think he could already have it? I will watch his nose, but I couldn't see the discharge on her nose.

I am afraid she is going to hate me for giving her the shots :( she is skittish anyway. Now she will think of me as the mean giant that hurts her. This is very upseting. I just feel awful and I am so worried about what is causing her puffyness.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
She ate one meal work just now. That is the first she has thing hhe has ate. She didn't touch her blue berries. She is supose to be taking an oral antibiotic also but I can't get her to eat her food so she is not getting much of it :(. Have not heard on the blood work yet.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Well she is still not eating much and Dr. Boyer called me with what I think is bad news. He said that all her test except the protien test( I don't remember what he called the test) came back good, That means it is not a thyriod problem or a vitamin or calcium etc.... problem. The protien test will tell if she has a liver problem....or maybe something else. What I heard was "everything easy to fix has been ruled out". He did not say this and when I asked him he said " lets wait until the rest of the blood work comes back to talk about it" I am really worried about her and really sad. I hate giving her shots, but I have to. I know she must hate me and be so affraid when she sees me. Poor girl. I never thought a turtle could make me feel so sad. I knew my torts could, but I didn't realize how much I loved Trudy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.