Is this normal behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
My Box turtle Trudy is living in her garden now it has lots of plants and a hide, but she still likes to completly bury her self. Is this normal or strange? It has been warm but she has lots of shade. I have been digging her up putting her in her water dish and putting food near her to eat every day. She is not a big eater, but she could be hunting when I am not around. Thoughts????????

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Even in this warm weather mine like to bury down for part of the day, I would say normal.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I always put a big pile of grass clippings in my pen for just that reason. They love it, and they're not always dirty and mud covered.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Good idea Yagy. I have a leave pile but she goes under the day lily and burys herself. I think she would stay there for days if I didn't dig her up.

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Columbus, Ohio
my boxies alternate between basking, roaming and burying. sometimes i walk by and see their heads poking up like little periscopes. :)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Very normal - I love to see their little heads poking out of the dirt as well. :)

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
mine like to tunnel through the leaves and humus to find things living there. you also have to remember they are primarily active at dawn and dusk

Status
Not open for further replies.