swollen neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central FL
My Roxie was outside and slowing down a bit with some cooler weather. She was up 2 days ago and everything looked good. I saw her drinking some water from the recent rain, and then she dug into a low area, not her usual sleeping spot.

It is going to be cold tonight (freeze), so I picked her up to bring her inside. Her eyes are a bit puffy, her neck is really swollen, and her mouth was caked with mud. I cleaned her up with a bit of warm water and she had the hard pus looking matter in her mouth and back of the throat. The swelling in the neck is firm and even, not localized in one place, and not soft like fluid.

I have her on a heat pad for tonight and cleaned out her mouth really well with some soft Q-tips. Of course, it is Sat evening and the vet does not open until Mon. Any thoughts? Her ears look fine.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
AWWWW poor Roxie!!
I wish I could help you!
I really dont know why her
neck would be swollen. Hopefully
you will get a reply soon!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Have you set up an indoor enclosure for her? I would do that and I would carefully keep her warm ( a constant warm, day and night) especially since she is showing stress with the eyes...I also would keep her mouth clean and clear....I would be offering her some long warm wate soaks and watch her for a couple days...then go from there...perhaps a visit to an experienced vet will be in the cards....

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
She is inside and kept on a heating pad day and night. Our vet is avian/reptile specialty certified and breeds tortoises. I have to teach in the morning, but my husband is dropping her off first thing in the morning on his way to work. She isn't looking too great. :( Fingers and toes crossed.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
After speaking to others and looking around a bit, I'm hoping it is not the ranavirus that is causing deaths of wild box turtles.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
Sadly, Roxie was euthanized at the vet today. He did radiographs and spent some time examining her. His best guess was that a virus had perhaps started some inclusion bodies. Her neck had become so swollen and firm throughout that her trachea was displaced downward. She had to extend her neck and gape to breathe. He didn't feel medicine would help and we both felt as though treatment would be uncomfortable for her and unproductive. He is going to do a necropsy, send specimens out, and use her for research to help out others, hopefully.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
Thanks, guys. It makes the username and avatar rather rough. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.