Eye health

LauraC

Hi, Tallulah my 1 year old horsefield has had a sore eye for just under a week now. I had a problem with her basking lamp and she didn't have appropriate heat for 3 days last week, (technical difficulties which has now been sorted), and one of her eyes has slightly swollen eye Lids. She was keeping her eye closed, and only upon bathing it in saline daily could I get her to open the eye. I have lacri-lube ready to apply to try to lubricate the eye, but I've read that it's common to get substrate in the eye, and that it's more likely to be a corneal
Abrasion as opposed to an infection as it is only unilateral. I am considering taking her to the vet tomorrow or Friday but each day it is improving. Is there anyone who can possibly help me please?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 20

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give warm soaks and spoon the warm water sofly over the eye. You can also use the saline to keep washing it out daily. There is no coil bulbs being used right? If you think it is getting better, then I would wait. If you see it stop improving, then take him in.

LauraC

Thanks! That's what I will do :)
Yes.. The shop I bought her from gave me a starter kit which included a heat mat and a coil bulb, I have ordered a new tube bulb and my dad is going to install it for me when it arrives (luckily he is an electrician!) I took the heat mat out once I read the forum! It's taken me a few more weeks to get the new bulb though!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Coil bulbs have a bad rep for causing eye issues. It will prob improve if you take it out.

LauraC

Thanks everyone! I am going this morning to get a different form of UVB. my friend said that the tubes are better than the bulbs, and when looking at them I saw that there is either the desert type (high output) or the tropical type (medium output) available to buy, which one is better for horsefields?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've been using an 18" strip UVB for many years. The "5.0" version. They are simple and reliable. You just have to swap them out at regular intervals because they get less and less effective.
I haven't seen any issues of tortoises being harmed by the strip flos.