Extreame sexual aggresion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doritoinmontucky

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Montana
My Russian tort "Ali" is a turd. I can put my hand in the tank and he will come running and just crawl up in my hand to come out and play. But if he is out playing and sees another one of my torts he goes crazy, dosnt matter male/ female, or even a diferent spieces, he wants to hump...and violantly at that. I have had him about 9 years now and wene i got him he was about the size of a 50 cent piece. this started a couple years ago. I have read that wene russians reach sexual maturaty they can get aggresive but i wasnt aware that they stayed that way forever... wene it first started he would mount rocks or anything that resembled a tort, but it has mellowed to only wene he is out and about, seeing the others. Has anyone had a similar experience, or knows of this. any comments are most appriciated.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Sounds like he needs a harem to wear him out. Or lots of exercise. Russians are known for their spring mating vigor.

Did you hibernate Ali?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I only have one leopard so I don't deal with this. Although he is a male, but hasn't found rocks or anything interesting yet. You do have him separated from the other torts, right, or at least in a very large enclosure with lots of sight barriers. They can hurt or kill if they only have one female to bother and if not enough room. Also, never in with other species, correct?

Doritoinmontucky

5 Year Member
Montana
No he has never hibernated, he slows down in the winter months but its way too cold to put him outside...

He is by himself and has lots of space to run around,

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
It can just vary tortoise to tortoise, so there really isn't one answer.
Some males get frisky for a month or so in the Spring, then back off, so can live in a group (one male to 3-4 females). Some males never settle down, so have to be removed from the others for most of the year.

Doritoinmontucky

5 Year Member
Montana
He seems to be the latter of the options.lol. i will eventualy get him some females... would any of you have any sites you would recomend for buying healthy animals?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have seen many male Russians that behave this way, along with many that don't. Some tortoises just get hyper aggressive this way. At least it's a sign of general well being and health.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Several members on this forum have sites that sell adult Russians when available: Arizona tortoise compound, Tortoise supply,etc.

With the sound of your tort, I will not house them inside together. You could not build a large enough inside enclosure.
Outside, you would need a very large enclosure with a lot of plants, logs and site blocks, perhaps 'L' shaped, so the female Russians would get a break, as they do in the wild, where they roam for acres. 15'x40' or there abouts?
Even so, be prepared to create his own enclosure, as if he is too relentless, your females could become withdrawn, hide a lot, or ill.

You only really need to get female Russians if you want to consider breeding them, which strangely, isn't necessarily that easy.

Doritoinmontucky

5 Year Member
Montana
Yes, i am not going to put him with anybody, i was just curious. I want to start a breeding program eventualy, but am still a long ways away. Am curently doing research, and info gathering. thanx for the advice.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I have a male who is very agressive I can not put him with any other tortoise. He attacks whenever he is with male or female he is best alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.