Squeaking and Mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

icenine

5 Year Member
Hey folks. My Russian has in the past several weeks started a half-amusing half-disturbing habit that I've never seen/heard before.

A few times a day, he runs around his enclosure for a little bit then gets up on the open end of his half-log and starts humping it while squeaking. It isn't a beak grinding, his mouth is open. It's a full-on sexual advance toward his log :p

I'm aware animals are animals, but I'm also curious if this might be a sign of something else. Is this normal for the time of year? He gets fed ~daily and gets calcium powder 2-3 times a week with his food. I keep the UVB and heat lamp on for about 4-8 hours a day generally.

Any input would be welcome... just wanna make sure I'm not missing something here cause he literally does this 5 times a day and it's sort of gross. haha

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
I think he is just a horny boy! Lol! Sounds like something more along the lines of what a Sulcata would do. :)

icenine

5 Year Member
cemmons12 said:
I think he is just a horny boy! Lol! Sounds like something more along the lines of what a Sulcata would do. :)

It just seems strange, I've had him for years and he pretty much never made any noise or did anything nearly as hilarious & creepy as this. And all of a sudden I'd say the past 4 or 5 weeks, he gets vertical to the opening of the log with his head out far as heck and he just humps away. Not really sure what to do about that hahah

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
It's normal. They make those funny squeaks when mating. They open their mouths - and it looks like they're laughing!

Status
Not open for further replies.