hybernation and age

Status
Not open for further replies.

nascarmw

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield CA
Hello! My neighbor Mary Ann and I went to our first tortoise meeting and found out that Penelope wasnt Penelope she was a he and is now Elliott LOL. It has cooled off here alot and he has not come out for two days. Is there anything special I need to do before moving him to the place I have picked out for his hybernation?? also they said at the meeting that he was showing sexual aggression towards another turtle, and that they dont show that untill they are 15 to 20 years old. We thought he was 7!! Is there any way to actually tell the real age?? Thanks for any help I sure enjoy this site!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Terry I think they have a Desert Tortoise. Can you post pictures of both the plastron and the carapace for us to look at along with his length? There's a few on here that might be able to help you with his age. :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
nascarmw said:
Hello! My neighbor Mary Ann and I went to our first tortoise meeting and found out that Penelope wasnt Penelope she was a he and is now Elliott LOL. It has cooled off here alot and he has not come out for two days. Is there anything special I need to do before moving him to the place I have picked out for his hybernation?? also they said at the meeting that he was showing sexual aggression towards another turtle, and that they dont show that untill they are 15 to 20 years old. We thought he was 7!! Is there any way to actually tell the real age?? Thanks for any help I sure enjoy this site!

I've had CDTs showing "sexual aggression" at 3-4 years old.

The hibernation thing is a whole debate unto itself. Here's what I do: As long as they are healthy I hibernate everything that is supposed to hibernate. Even young ones. I hibernate them indoors under controlled conditions so that they are safe no matter what craziness mother nature throws at us over the winter. Leading up to hibernation I gradually shorten the hours on their light timers for a month or two. About two weeks before lights out I cut the heat lamps down to 4-5 hours a day and stop all feeding. I do daily warm water soaks during this time to make sure they are emptied out and well hydrated. Finally, I'll wait for a cold spell and just unplug and remove the lights and cover the containers to keep them dark. Then I just watch the temps all winter and make sure it stays in the 50's. In the springtime, I wake them up gradually and do lots of soaks that get gradually warmer. When they start basking on their own and temps are good I'll start feeding them a little at first, then gradually more. Eventually, I just get them back up to full speed and back to the normal routine.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Yes, Elliott is a CDT, huge if you ask me! When I see Lisa tomorrow, I'll tell her to post his size. I don't think she can take a picture, he's has been hiding for the last 2 days. It rained here and it NEVER rains here, one day it was 90 then next day rain! Here is a picture of him and my 1 month old hatchling. Thanks guys for all your help! :) Mary Anne
penbaby014.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.