Enrichment for adult sulcata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
My 26 inch male sulcata (Rocky) has just been moved to his new 1200 sqft. enclosure...I hope its big enough. His previous one was over 1600 sqft. I'm going to soon build a raised off the ground, heated barn/box for him. I would also like to make a mud wallow.

Question, as self-explanatory as "mud wallow" may sound, how exactly do you go about doing it? I would assume dig a hole and fill it with water...But my concern is, does the soil type matter? The soil in the yard is WONDERFUL for growing things, as the previous owners were farmers...Perfectly moist, slightly clumpy, black dirt. Almost like compost. I'm not sure how well this would work for a mud wallow, as most I see are from people in Arizona where it looks to be almost clay...any thoughts?

Any other ideas on enrichment for his enclosure? If ever I can find plants he won't destroy I may add them to his enclosure.

Hey, off-topic here. In 41 minutes all of the dooms-day folks are going to be scratching their heads. Cheers for the world NOT ending! Woo-hoo..

M

Maggie Cummings

I dug a mud wallow for Bob and during the warmer weather I put water in it daily. One thing that I don't like is he's pooped in it enough that he smells like a sewer and is always muddy. He drags damp mud into his shed where it dries like cement.
Bob favorite activity is smashing 5 gallon plastic buckets...

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
My main worry is him not using a mud wallow, but I'll try anyways :).

I'm hoping the sloping sides will make him more comfortable. Ever since his "incident" years ago before he was in my care, he is TERRIFIED of being even half submerged in water.

Sidenote on the "incident"...The old owners let him roam they're backyard, where there was a pool. Everything went fine for a long time, until they got annoyed with the labrador in the pool...So they put a piece of plywood over where the steps are. Kept the dog out...But apparently the tortoise walked out onto it and tipped into the pool! Thank goodness there were people in the backyard; he was found within minutes running along the bottom of the pool...Needless to say he lived, but to this day he has a morbid fear of being even partially submerged. I'm hoping this won't affect his attitude toward a mud wallow...

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!
RedfootsRule said:
My main worry is him not using a mud wallow, but I'll try anyways :).

I'm hoping the sloping sides will make him more comfortable. Ever since his "incident" years ago before he was in my care, he is TERRIFIED of being even half submerged in water.

Sidenote on the "incident"...The old owners let him roam they're backyard, where there was a pool. Everything went fine for a long time, until they got annoyed with the labrador in the pool...So they put a piece of plywood over where the steps are. Kept the dog out...But apparently the tortoise walked out onto it and tipped into the pool! Thank goodness there were people in the backyard; he was found within minutes running along the bottom of the pool...Needless to say he lived, but to this day he has a morbid fear of being even partially submerged. I'm hoping this won't affect his attitude toward a mud wallow...

Awwwwww!! At least he's okay and I would be scare too!! God was with him that's a miracle!!! Best of luck!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Post some pictures...we love pictures! There aren't many plants a 26" sulcata can't (and won't) destroy! You might consider a planter or two within his enclosure! Then you can put ANY plant in with him...and he won't demolish it instantly.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
DeanS said:
There aren't many plants a 26" sulcata can't (and won't) destroy! You might consider a planter or two within his enclosure! Then you can put ANY plant in with him...and he won't demolish it instantly.

i love this idea!! and second the motion ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.