TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sorry for the blurry picture. I guess I had a bit too much to drink:

05-11SO-1.jpg

05-11So-2.jpg

When I first caught him in his mud wallow he had his neck all stretched out with his head laying on the ground and his eyes closed.

Bad part about this is: This is actually in the grass! He has two of these big mud pits. Every time I water his grass he gets in there and tears up the joint.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He'll usually lay there all day.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Ahhh, he looks like he's really enjoying himself. Mine tend to do the same thing, especially in the summer. The irrigation system comes on and in a couple areas, the water pools so they decide to go create a mud bath in the grass and keep tearing it up in that place. They have their own pool 20 feet from that area, but no, they have to tear up the grass area.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
A good mudhole is hard to beat.He looks like he's in heaven right now.The redfoots love it too.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Great stuff, Yvonne! What are the temps up there today?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, that was the problem, Dean. I worried all night. Yesterday was in the low 70's and by evening he was still in the wallow. Last night it went down to 50 degrees! There was no way I could move him into his house, so I just left him there. At about 10 this a.m. he moved over to a dry spot in the sun, so he's ok, thank goodness!

The Aldabs are VERY good at going into the shed on their own. I guess the mud hole was just too attractive to give it up!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
is this the one who has an issue the vet can figure out? i wonder why he would stay there all day.. Is it a sign or just him?
Dehydrated?
My smallest sullie will wallow and flip mudd up on his back. Like a seal in the sand.. I havent noticed the others do that..

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Too cute. What a ham.

At that size I really don't think even 50 degrees would hurt them, as long as they can warm up good the next day ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Laura:

No, this was So, the smaller one. Bo is still having his issues. I'm having a heck of a time with him. He gets 1500 units of calcium every day and yet his shell is pliable and he drags rather than walks. He still comes out every day and eats, but I'm having an uphill battle with him. I have a call in to my vet and I'm going to ask her if we can give him calcium injections...if that would work better than the pills. So showed signs of calcium deficiency too, but the calcium pills I gave him worked. He's up and about on all 4 legs and his shell has firmed up. I wish we could figure out what's going on with Bo.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Makes you wonder if Bo has a problem with metabolizing calcium, either losing it through the kidneys inappropriately, or unable to use it properly (problem with parathyroid glands?). I am extrapolating from humans, but why would the other tort in the same physical condition with the same treatment get better, while Bo is not responding? It will be interesting to see what the vet says.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.